The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 23, 2012, 04:50 PM   #26
dayman

Offhand I can't recall ever having a centerfire primer fail to go off. I don't reload (my understanding is reloads can be finicky), but I put a couple thousand rounds of relatively cheap (winchester/remUMC) target loads downrange a year. .22 failing on the other hand is a semi-regular occurrence.

I'd second all the above opinions that I'd rather have a .22 than nothing, but if you're choosing a weapon specifically for HD, it seems like a bad option. I know from personal experience that hitting a deer is significantly harder than hitting a paper circle, and I can imagine that hitting a person in the head - presumably in low light after having just woken up - would be very hard indeed. Buy a pump shotgun: sounds scary, looks scary, is scary.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:03 PM   #27
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
And you know this how??
Simple, markj, as I stated, I am fairly certain. There isn't anybody that only has a .22 single shot rifle in their downstairs and nothing else.

Quote:
In my barn is a 22 semi and only that.
Really? You use a whole barn to store a .22 semi and absolutely nothing else? That must be some amazingly accurate .22 if you built a whole barn for it.

Quote:
Now if Iwasnt carrying and some idiot came at me in there, well that would be what I would use. It is very accurate too.
LOL, nobody is going to go at you in your barn where you just have the .22. No, if you are in the barn, they are going to be stealing the tractor and related implements out of the gun safe in your house.

I am pretty certain that you don't just have a barn with only a .22 in it. From everything you have described previously, you would not be that wasteful. As I said above, people often have quite a number of resources available to them, the problem is that they fail to recognize what they have that can be used in their defense. Of course many folks who fail to realize what they can use for weapons and cover are the same folks that talk about how well prepared they are and yet not being "defenseless" if without a gun.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:16 PM   #28
Frank Ettin
Staff

It looks like there's really not any more substantive to say.

Closed.
Closed Thread