The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2010, 01:27 AM   #1
chris in va

Bought that new Lee Auto Prime XR today

I've just been using the ram prime doodad that came with my Hand Press but got tired of losing primers, especially SP for my 9mm. So today I broke down and bought this thing after people raved about it.

I can see how the square tray is better than the round design when flipping those primer trays over. It's definitely quicker than the ram prime.

Problem though, not near enough leverage. I have to use both thumbs for it to seat properly, and even then I get a couple high primers that need reseating.

Which brings up my next point, you can't do that with this thing, at least not like the manual one. Once it's seated, a fresh primer is waiting in line. I'd hate to prime rifle cases with this device, such as my 30-06 for the Garand that requires a primer below flush. If I turn it around and use my fingers it won't seat all the way as you need every bit of leverage to press the top of the handle.

I'm still getting used to it though, just have to get around the way it feeds. Several times it gave me two primers and jammed the works up.

Bottom line, it's alright...probably worth the $20+shellholder cost if you're trying to save time. Otherwise something press mounted would give better feel and leverage for more critical priming.
Old November 7, 2010, 08:05 AM   #2
mehavey

Since the mid`80s, the old/new/whatever AutoPrime is the machine I turn to in all cases. (pun intended)

I also turn it so the lever is facing toward me and use both thumbs to press the primer home. (If think God designed it for that technique regardless of marketing phots.) It works first time every time and I get that exact feel of primer fit to the pocket -- when it seats home and how tight/loose it is as case firings progress..

If you get resistance/high primers, I highly recommend you get/use a primer pocket uniformer. That goes double for any gas gun loading -- especially Garand designs.

Last edited by mehavey; November 7, 2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:00 AM   #3
grumpa72

I do all four primers, SR, LR, SP and LP in my Lee Auto Prime. Because I use the LR for my M1 in 30.06, I need to seat below flush and it does it without any excessive pressure. For rifle, I keep one of the spots on my turret empty and do the primer seating there. No issues at all.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:07 AM   #4
rwilson452

Chris,

May be a silly question, Did you lube it?
Old November 7, 2010, 09:16 AM   #5
TXGunNut

To re-seat a primer when you already have a fresh primer over the ram simply turn the loader so the ram is above the tray and depress the lever just enough so that the primer can slide back into the tray. Then you can finish seating the primer. Once you get the feel for it you won't need to do that maneuver very often.
I've been using the original Auto Primes for over 25 years but was priming some rifle cases yesterday and was thinking about that handy square tray. Think I'll add one to my Midway order.

Maybe not, just read the reviews on the Midway site. Owners of the original Auto Prime like the old one better. Think I'll wait for more input before I replace a proven machine that has years of use left in it.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; November 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old November 7, 2010, 11:41 AM   #6
swmike

I have two Lee Auto Primes. One for large and one for small primers. Both were stiff and took extra pressure to fully seat primers when they were fresh out of the box. I put some anti-seize compound on the pivot points and they've been great ever since. No more than single thumb pressure required.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old November 7, 2010, 11:56 AM   #7
jmortimer

+1 "Did you lube it ?" I just use my old (over tens years old) Auto Prime and I keep it lubed and it keeps going. It does take some effort to fully seat primer but not that much - there is no "strain"