The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 4, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1
cottonmouth

Dependable retailer for optics

Does anyone know where to find a retail outfitter that is dependable source for optics?

I would like to purchase a red dot for my revolver. Been looking real hard at the Aimpoint R-1 micro, just need some suggestions please for honest online purchase or retailer in North Florida.

Thanks in advance
Old March 5, 2008, 12:02 AM   #2
OnTheFly

You might try "Optics Planet" at http://www.opticsplanet.com

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 5, 2008, 08:36 AM   #3
cottonmouth

onthefly,

I just ordered the Aimpoint micro R-1 red dot from optics-planet. They were about $100 less than anyone else.

Thanks for the recommendations, Have you ordered or know of someone that has used them?

Thanks in advance
Old March 5, 2008, 09:54 AM   #4
fishmagnet

bear basin optics

These folks are good.

Bought my Zeiss 4.5x14 Conquest from them for my Sako 75.

http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm
Old March 5, 2008, 09:55 AM   #5
OnTheFly

I ordered something from them some time ago. No issues. Recently I tried to purchase an inexpensive Fobus paddle holster for a CC course I was going to take. Something just to get me by until I could get a custom leather holster. Fobus aren't expensive, but their price was uber low. However, the optics plant, just like all the other Fobus dealers, listed the item for sale but did not actually have it in stock since it was a new item. I'm sure they had been told by Fobus that it would be in "any day", but I would still have preferred that they didn't waste my time with it. When I started calling all the other retailers listing the same product, it was the same story. Apparently it is a common retailer practice.

I think my SOP will be to call these online retailers before I order it to make sure they have it in stock. Other than that, Optics planet has GREAT prices and free shipping on lot's of items.

Hope it works for you.
Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 5, 2008, 11:14 AM   #6
stephen426

http://www.swfa.com/

A friend recommended this site to me. I bought a scope from them and everything went very smoothly. Prices are very good too.

By the way, he recommended Leupold scopes due to their incredible warranty. They often fix or repair things that should not be covered.
Old March 5, 2008, 11:23 AM   #7
OnTheFly

I ordered a scope from http://www.swfa.com/. It was in my "younger" days of shooting so I ordered a pos scope. It wasn't even good enough for my .22lr, so I returned it due to some manufacturing blemishes. They were professional, timely, and courteous. However, from my previous comparison shopping, I think that Optics Planet had better prices.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 5, 2008, 10:35 PM   #8
huntingtexas

SWFA !! And here is a link that will save you hundreds of dollars, it's their sample list of scopes that are demos, salemans samples etc.... it will describe the condition and they are very truthful. Lucky for me I live 10 miles from them.
http://www.samplelist.com/
Old March 5, 2008, 11:32 PM   #9
5whiskey

I use optics planet, but it appears that they aren't the cheapest for everything anymore.

I still use OP, mostly because I trust them and they have an excellent business, but by all means go to the lowest bidder that you feel won't sell you junk.
Old March 6, 2008, 12:03 AM   #10
sholling

Optics Planet, Midway or even Amazon.com
Old March 6, 2008, 12:26 PM   #11
Zak Smith

I've had nothing be great experience with CSGunWorks
Old March 11, 2008, 01:03 AM   #12
trooper3385

+1 for SWFA