The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 23, 2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Ike666

Question @ Cabelas Summer 2013 Sooters catalog

I just got it in the mail yesterday. I came across a really nice bench mat with an exploded view of a generic AR15. Trouble was the copy in the description. It says, the mat is for working on your assault rifle. What?

I'm a civilian and don't own any "assault rifles". I do own a nice M4-style 5.56 and a Sage EBR. I found the copy language vaguely off-putting. I don't know whether the description copy was Cabelas or the manufacturer's. Either way, I wish they would change it.
Old June 23, 2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Pahoo

Being informed !!

Quote:
It says, the mat is for working on your assault rifle. What?
Yes, that is an uninformed statement for them to make and they too have fallen into that trap.
I'm sure they will be informed about their mistake, in short time ...

Last week, during our Hunter Safety class, I asked the students if they wanted to see an 1776 British Assault Rifle. Oh course they said yes and I pulled my Brown Bess out of a case and they thought I was kidding. I then explained that this indeed was the assault weapon of that period. One students commented; "Did soldiers actually fight with "that" thing." ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 23, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Just for information, we have discussed the terminology - public relations - let's make our guns nice essay quite a bit before.

Might search on that before we rehash the same arguments. But go for it if you want.
Old June 23, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahoo:

Yes, that is an uninformed statement for them to make and they too have fallen into that trap.
I'm sure they will be informed about their mistake, in short time ...

While many of us here @ TFL dislike the term "Assault Rifle", there are many "tactical mall ninja" types out there that consider the term as a badge of honor. Knowing their present marketing directions, it seems Cabelas may be targeting that group for this particular item. I mean, how else does one clean their "tactical" rifle other than on a designated "tactical" cleaning mat?