The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
JimDandy

Idle curioisity turned into Huh?!?! Hornady Die Wrench etc from Ammo Plant.

So I was finally going through the odds and ends that came with my Hornady Ammo Plant, and with the die wrench... what is the open end for? There's a hole that's obviously for nuts on the top of some dies, especially the decap pin on sizer dies. There's a box end that's for the lock rings... but the open end is too small for this?

The Groove pin (part #10 on the exploded view) on the Case Activated Powder drop + powder measure. This dinky little pin seems to work itself out on me all the time. It's got a groove that would seem perfect for a cotter pin or other fixture of some kind to bookmark the "wings" on the other side. Anyone run into this issue before, and have a solution?

The missing allen wrench. I see to have an allen wrench that came with the machine for every allen screw but one... the one on the turning block for the case feeder, part #20 on the exploded view a 1/4-3/4 Shoulder Bolt. Anyone know what size this is so I can go buy one?
Old December 18, 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
JimDandy

Nobody knows what the open end is for? Or that hump right next to it?
Old December 18, 2012, 01:15 PM   #3
higgite

The open end of the wrench fits the flats near the top of Hornady dies. The bump sticking out the side fits the shellholder notches in the shellplate to keep it from turning while you loosen the center bolt to change shellplates. Can't help you with the pin or the allen wrench.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
JimDandy

Oooooh! I never would have thought of either of those.
Old December 22, 2012, 12:33 AM   #5
JimDandy

I found a solution. I knew what I was thinking of, but not the name of it. So I talked to my pops who likes to work on antique cars and what not... showed him what I had, and described what I had in mind. He knew exactly what I was describing. He handed me a box labeled External Snap Rings, and pointed at the smallest collection of something called an E-ring. They work a lot like a cotter pin on that groove on the pin.

If anyone else has the same annoying thing I do where that pin likes to pop out backwards.

Does anyone else have that happen? I keep feeling like I lost a part when I disassembled my powder thrower for a cleaning and reassemble, but nothing shows on the exploded view.