The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2010, 04:41 AM   #1
sixxgunnernick

reloading..

I just started .380 and wanted some thoughts on this..I'll chrono winchester white box at 850 fps..so I work up my reloads with the same weight bullet with titegroup at around the same 850 fps. There shouldn't be any pressure issues right? I seat them coal as a pmc..its at 2.9 g of powder...safe?
Old January 17, 2010, 05:16 AM   #2
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I suspect it is not that simple. Because powders have different burn rates the pressure spike can be different. Others will chime in with more details I'm sure.
Old January 17, 2010, 05:27 AM   #3
NWPilgrim

You should first check a reloading manual and follow the specified data as to starting and maximum powder charges for a given bullet style and weight, and for a given COL.

Only after you are working up with a proven formula do you then use muzzle velocity as a double check that you do not exceed the specified velocity expected for the powder charge you are using.

Muzzle velocity by itself says absolutely nothing if you are not referring to a data table for that cartridge, powder, bullet and COL. There is no short cut. Follow the prescribed steps. Get a manual.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 17, 2010, 05:56 AM   #4
alloy

Don't know about your length but if the bullets under 100 grains, according to this it's ok. WWB uses 95 grain flat nose bullets at .960 length.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Old January 17, 2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Blue Grass

We can't get the same powders that the manufactuers use so pressure might be very different at this muzzle velocity. As was stated above, get a manual
(Even better, get several) and follow thier advise. I always reload for safety and accuracy. Who cares how fast a load is if you can't hit anything with it. Good luck.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:31 AM   #6
NCMountain

Always follow your manual and what it suggest for a particular powder and bullet. Like the 1st poster stated.....different burn rates for powders.

Also, if you use the Lee manual it is always slightly undercharged which is a good thing for beginners. I just recently upcharged loads from the manual to achieve the desired results.

I do believe you will find if going by the manual you will have a safe and enjoyable hobby and maintain all your fingers!
Old January 17, 2010, 08:54 AM   #7
sixxgunnernick

Thanks guys..I have a lyman manual and it says 2.7 is max while hodgen says its min. 2.7 is 525 fps while 3 grains is 825 fps. My phone wont let me see maximum on the hodgon site. Sorry..thats 725 fps not 525

Last edited by sixxgunnernick; January 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:59 AM   #8
alloy

Quote:
My phone wont let me see maximum on the hodgon site.
90 GR. HDY JHP Hodgdon Titegroup .355" .955" start 2.7 826 10,800 CUP max 3.2 970 15,600 CUP

100 GR. HDY FMJ Hodgdon Titegroup .355" .980" start 2.6 793 11,400 CUP max 3.0 912 14,700 CUP
Old January 17, 2010, 10:14 AM   #9
sixxgunnernick

Thanks alloy.. I thought win. white box are not even plus p..and it takes x amount of pressure to move the 95 G bullet so many fps that I was safe..I shoot low and to the right..anything slower will drop more and lose penatration. Thanks again guys..very kind.