The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2009, 01:58 PM   #1
mcraig8377

ported smooth bore or non ported rifled barrels?

which would you say is a better set up for a 12 guage hunting rifle? they both cost the same both are mossberg 500 model and both come with iron sights. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:47 PM   #2
zippy13

I presume you mean a 12-ga hunting shotgun. What are you going to hunt: Bird or beast? Typically a ported smooth bore is good for shot or conventional slugs. A rifled shotgun barrel is best suited to sabot slugs. They provide marginally better accuracy with a significant increase in cost.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
mcraig8377

it would be for hunting elk. how much trade off in accuracy as far as smooth bore slugs compared to rifled slugs. and does the ported smooth bore barrel make much of a differrence? and of course i dont think any of the shots will be beyond 75 yds.

Last edited by mcraig8377; May 31, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 03:26 PM   #4
zippy13

For elk, you'll be better off with the rifled barrel and sabots. You might even consider a scope and a cantilevered mount. What jurisdiction is requiring you to use a shotgun, over a rifle, for elk?
Old May 31, 2009, 04:35 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quality being paramount... A quality rifled slug barrel using sabots is going to give a ton more usable range over a heavier rifled slug from a smoothbore.
Brent
Old May 31, 2009, 04:41 PM   #6
rantingredneck

On an animal that large I'd want to use a quality jacketed sabot slug over a lead smoothbore slug. Penetration should be better. Only smoothbore slugs I would contemplate using would be harder alloy Brenneke slugs.

Quote:
What jurisdiction is requiring you to use a shotgun, over a rifle, for elk?
Indeed.......?????

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old June 1, 2009, 08:56 PM   #7
mcraig8377

have a friend that hunts elk with a 12 guage and he wants me to go on a hunt with him. he says he will not take a shot past 50 yds but he seems to always get an elk. i would of course choose a 30-06 just needed some opinions in case i decide to go on this hunt. i think its more of a sporting thing to him.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:04 PM   #8
SeekHer

Zippy, may I be so bold as to ask what species of bird will you be shooting with a rifle sighted slug barrel loaded with shot?

Turkey comes to mind but then why the rifle sights on a on a cartridge producing a shot string when a plain old bead will more then suffice!

Mcraig, a ported barrel will always give you a major dose of muzzle flash which may not be so obvious or bothersome at the trap field with a 32” barrelled gun but for a 20” dark woods hunting or night time HD gun not that great an idea as the length compounds the problem!

It was asked and I’ll ask again, why a shotgun for elk? Are all your shots going to be in the 75 yd range—that’s it’s really effective range but you may be able to bring it out to 100 yds…Unless you were using something light the TarHunt dedicated bolt shotgun with their superb Lightfield slugs and then you’re only talking another 50 yds or so!

The reason I mention it is that you could use a blackpowder rifle if you want to keep it “sporting”…Same performance, range and about the same cost for the barrel…

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old June 1, 2009, 10:16 PM   #9
mcraig8377

as i said in my previous post this is a 12 guage hunt. NO RIFLES! just wanted opinions i told you mine would be a 30-06 rifle. that is not an optiion if i decide to go on this hunt. and please read the previous posts.
Old June 2, 2009, 12:12 AM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer
Zippy, may I be so bold as to ask what species of bird will you be shooting with a rifle sighted slug barrel loaded with shot?
Of course, ask away, an unfettered exchange will maximize the forum's learning potential for all of us. The answer to you question is, the only birds I'd be shooting with a rifle sighted slug barrel loaded with shot would most like be the clay species. My motivation might be a specific test or general curiosity. I suspect you're really asking why I initially asked the OP if he was going to hunt bird or beast.
With his "12 gauge hunting rifle" it was impossible to tell it the OP had just misspoke, or was a newbie to shot gunning. Obviously the two barrels initially referenced are best suited for slugs. However, I had no way of knowing if the OP was aware of this and I presumed that he might not. A rifle sighted shotgun barrel might not be appropriate for his intended application. By asking my question the way I did, I'd hoped to throw as wide a loop as possible.
The OP's response validated his initial question and described his intended use. Having this supplemental information, I provided my recommendation. Since one hears little about using slugs on elk, I was curious, but the OP didn't provide us with his location. That's why I queried him about jurisdictional requirements.
SeekHer, I hope I've answered your question. If not, please feel free to ask more.