The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2009, 11:58 AM   #1
abs

How often do you clean trigger/bolt groups in semi-auto?

The Browning manual is kinda vague suggesting to do this when the action become 'excessively dirty'. But how often should one bother to disassembly them for check-up? I do trap every (2nd) weekend, 100 shells or so.
Thanks!
Old May 31, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

I don't know what model of Browning you have but I have only fully disassembled my Light 12 one time in the last 10 years. However, I only shoot about 500 shells through it in a year tops.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:06 PM   #3
abs

Thank you Willie,
I have Gold sporting model.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:45 PM   #4
zippy13

I don't do an auto loader's bolt until the end of the season when I do the whole gun and prepare it for storage. Of course, if you're experiencing sluggish operation, then go for it.
Old June 1, 2009, 01:18 PM   #5
BigJimP

I strip the trigger group, bolt, everything out every time I shoot my semi-auto. I shoot a Benelli inertia gun / so its way cleaner than any of the gas operated guns....

But I would recommend you strip it and clean it every time you get home .... it isn't that big a deal ....( once a year Zippy ???? what the heck ...) are you serious ???
Old June 1, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
publius

Unless it's gotten wet, whenever I think about it. maybe once a year, maybe once every couple of years.
Old June 1, 2009, 01:58 PM   #7
zippy13

publis

If you've followed his postings, you'll know that BigJimP's Benelli is his rain gun. And, it rains a lot in his area. When the sun is out, he shoots his beloved Brownings. Consequently, he's acclimated to bringing home a wet auto-loader in need of a complete going over.
Old June 1, 2009, 02:25 PM   #8
BigJimP

But if I shoot the Benelli on a nice day ( like when I'm a recoil wimp ...) and I can't handle the weight and recoil of the O/U's on my deteriorating rotator cuffs ..... I still clean it every time I get home.

I like my guns ... so I keep them clean. ( its my travel gun, not just my "rain gun" ..).

I can't just put them away dirty ...in a cold dark safe ...screaming for attention .....it would keep me up at nite... (assuming I could hear them over my snoring ...but maybe ..).
Old June 1, 2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I generally clean my Remington Model 58 after every other trip to the range, which is probably every 250 rounds or so.

I find that if I don't the gas vents get very crusty.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:46 PM   #10
squeak003

the only time i clean mine is when i cant hear the gas puck move anymore..........but i shoot a saiga
Old June 1, 2009, 08:00 PM   #11
oneounceload

My 1100 gets cleaned every time after a trip to the club.....the trigger group about every three times or so...........gun goes bang, no plastic buildup, works like a champ........easier to do it a little bit at a time than trying to do a major overhaul..........
Old June 2, 2009, 03:08 AM   #12
impalacustom

I clean my Browning Gold trigger group once a year but I don't shoot more than a couple boxes through it. It is nothing to push the two pins out and clean it though.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:12 AM   #13
RoscoeC

I clean my A390 about every 500 rounds. That means about every third range trip. My AL390, which is my hunting gun gets cleaned at the beginning and end of Dove Season. My other shotguns I clean every time I shoot them, because unfortunately I shoot them so infrequently that I would loose track of when to clean them.

I used to clean every gun every time I shot it, but as I have acquired more of them I found I was spending a lot of time cleaning shotguns, pistols and rifles.

If I am going to clean one I do the complete strip down and clean and lubricate everything.
NRA Life Member