The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 14, 2000, 11:55 AM   #1
Strayhorn

Friends -

Next week, I will venture down from the hardwood uplands of my native North Carolina to visit my college roommate, who lives near Clearwater FL. He's drawn a ticket to hunt gators and has invited me along as a "spectator".

Now, I'm an honest guy so I'm not going to even hold his rifle while he ties his shoes. I'm just taking my flashlight and my camera. I would like some advice on clothing - I would suppose I will get wet, but should I invest in snake chaps? Do you have any other clothing or gear suggestions? I've never even been to central Florida so I don't really know what I'll need (besides a large cooler of cold ones for afterward).

Thanks,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old September 14, 2000, 12:31 PM   #2
BadMedicine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(besides a large cooler of cold ones for afterward).[/quote]

Afterwards? Drinking while "gator-huntin" is how it's done. What's hard and dangerous about hunting a little ol' lizzard about the size of a toyota with 300 teeth the size of yer fingers and crushing power like a hydraulic-vise? It's not like your using those darned un-reliable fire-arms either. A new space-age weapon has been formulated, tested and re-tested to allow you maximum effectiveness against your quarry, behold, the spear!! I can't say as I've ever been gator-hunting, but if it was me, I'd bring along a clean pair of "undies" for the drive home!!
Old September 14, 2000, 06:18 PM   #3
Element

Well most likely you'll be in an airboat and won't have to get in the water. But the best way to go, is jungle boots (for flowthrough) if you have to get into the water. Pants (BDU's) to protect legs from skeeters. T-shirt and lots of bug spray. Word to the wise dont think those little gators are the cutist things you've ever seen and try to pick them up and or pet them , moms not to far off and will be really pissed off if your around.

P.S. Have FUN!!
Old September 15, 2000, 04:37 PM   #4
Ric

Snakes will be the least of your worries. See the previous thread for addtional info:
http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/...ML/000424.html

-ric

Old September 17, 2000, 01:45 AM   #5
OkieGentleman

If you are going to go to the Florida swamps you might take this hint. Go see your local pharmacist(I think that is the way to spell it) and ask him about vitamin B1 or B6. I cannot remember which. You start taking large doses of it about 5 days before you go out into the swamp. Your BO has an sharp iron smell to it but the snakes and bugs hate the smell and you might get away with fewer bites than bug spray. I used to use it when we went on long camping trips. When we sat aroung the campfire at nite, everyone else seemed to be getting eaten alive by the various bugs. I would hear the mosquitos buzzing by my ears, but never stopping for a snack.
Old September 17, 2000, 06:32 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess I'd ask the Clearwater fella what *he* plans on wearing. I've run around in a fair amount of Florida swamps, hunting and fishing, and generally I wore old khakis and tennis shoes. A lightweight, long-sleeved khaki shirt helps with the skeeters. "Off" does well...

A little common sense about snakes of the water-moccasin variety never hurts, but there are probably a lot more stories than there are snakes, actually...

Mainly just expect it to be warm, somewhat buggy, and a lot of fun.

, Art
Old September 17, 2000, 02:24 PM   #7
.357SIG

Well, since we're getting nailed by this hurricane right now, you can bet once it's over the 'skeeters will be out in full force. Get a whole case of bug spray or suffer severe itching!

Make sure you get your face as well. The bugs show no mercy!