The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2002, 04:19 PM   #1
Kenneth L. Walters

Disappearing Bullet Moulds

Lyman stopped selling Ideal Armory moulds in the early 1950's I think. They made them from about 1880 to somewhere in the 1940's.

Though you can occasionally find ones in excellent condition, most need work. One of the people who claimed to be able to repair these blocks, both the blocks themselves and the wood handles, was Jim Colburn. Maybe he can. What he doesn't do, however, is return them. Don't send him anything. You'll never get it back! I'm sure about that. He kept three Ideal Armory moulds of mine that I would value at about $800 and I know others who have had similar problems.

Jim doesn't advertise but if you put up an announcement that you are looking for someone do to this kind of work you may be an e-mail from him.
Old May 7, 2002, 04:25 PM   #2
Steve Smith

What state and city is Mr. Colburn in?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 7, 2002, 06:01 PM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

Jim Colburn
P.O. Box 12
Staplehurst, NE 68439
402-535-2306
Old May 11, 2002, 11:02 AM   #4
WINTERVILLE WILL

Why, exactly, would you send something,ANYTHING, to someone you know won't return it?! or provide their address? Sounds like a DUH! to me.
DAMFOOL #64

45-70...reach out and thump somethin'
Old May 11, 2002, 11:08 AM   #5
Kenneth L. Walters

I check before sending him the moulds. He came highly recommended. Something, however, obviously went VERY wrong. Opinions as to exactly what vary.

Now he is someone to avoid. If you see the address or phone number, regardless of the name used, you should stay away!
Old May 13, 2002, 03:21 PM   #6
Paul B.

Mr. Walters. I don't know how long ago you sent him those molds, or by what method, but if you mailed them through the Post Office, you can contact the Postal Inspectors though your local Post Office and file a complaint. I believe what he did constitutes mail fraud.
If you went UPS of Fedex, there may be a federal agency that would handle that as well.
Don't know if that'll help at this late date, but it is something to look at.
If enough complaints reach the proper authorities, Mr. Colburn would be facing some serious hard time at a federal graybar hotel. Sounds to me like that's where he belongs.
paul B.
Old May 13, 2002, 03:40 PM   #7
Steve Smith

Kenneth, you are talking about this guys, no doubt:

http://members.aol.com/illinewek/faqs/casting.htm

There's a link at the bottom for a Mailing List. Perhaps you should join the mailing list and see if you can get somewhere that way?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 13, 2002, 08:12 PM   #8
Kenneth L. Walters

Undoubtedly the same guy.

I tried phoning him any number of times. Always got an answering machine. I wrote and e-mailed. Nothing. Finally I had a friend from another state call. They interrupted the answering machine to answer the phone. Just not answering my calls I guess.

A few days after a VERY public campaign to bring attention to this problem, my moulds were sent back. This guy is a true jerk!