The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 6, 2001, 05:48 PM   #1
jthuang

This animal may not exist, but here goes. Anyone know where I can get my hands on black leather shooting gloves with Gore-Tex (or similar waterproof & breathable material) lining -- withOUT insulation?

Closest I've seen is Cabela's calfskin shooting gloves -- they are available in black or brown leather, Gore-Tex lining but they also feature 100 gram Thinsulate insulation. I want something without insulation as I want the thinnest gloves possible. Cabela's does have an unlined glove but it does not have the Gore-Tex lining so it is not waterproof.

TIA!

Justin
Old March 6, 2001, 11:55 PM   #2
Coronach

Well...

You've probably tried this already, but what about Hatch? They have a variety of gloves for different LE purposes. one of them might fit the bill.

I have a pair of defenders (or is it resisters?), the kind with the cut-resistant lining. I'm not sure how cut resistant they are (and in no hurry to find out, thanks), but they are tolerably warm and tolerably thin.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 6, 2001, 11:59 PM   #3
Coronach

Duh

I just read that you're interested in water resistance...Hatch also makes one designed to repel fluids. Can't recall what it is called, though.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 8, 2001, 12:50 PM   #4
jthuang

Thanks!

I'll take a look!
Old March 9, 2001, 08:49 AM   #5
Coop57

Weather proof gloves from FootJoy are great for shooting. They are made for golf but work great for shooting.
Old March 10, 2001, 09:36 AM   #6
Captain Bligh

I like the notion of thin golf gloves or batting gloves. I always wear golf gloves for warm weather hunting because I've had the experience of mosquito repellant removing gun stock finishes. So I apply repellent with my hands, then put on the gloves, and I'm worry free about stock finish being damaged.

For pistol shooting, I also have a pair of Uncle Mike's shooting gloves with half-fingers. They're well made and comfortable. The only time I don't like them is when shooting short gripped guns. The extra room the glove takes up seems to make my hand bigger and makes me feel like I have less of my hand on the grip. I think golf gloves would be ideal for those short-gripped guns. I feel stupid that I didn't think of it until reading the post by Coop57.

RJ