The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2007, 07:34 PM   #1
firechicken

When do I get to see pressure signs.....

.......in my Remington 700 VLS 223? I've been trying to find a load it likes, and thought I'd try a ladder test to see how that worked. Working with Midway's 50gr Dogtown bullets, H335, and Rem 6 1/2 primers I loaded 1 round of each charge starting at 24.7gr, going up in .2gr increments for 20 rounds my last load was 28.5gr. Seated the bullets .010" off the lands which made the OAL 2.220". Cases were previously fired in this rifle and neck sized. Barrel is 26" 1 in 12 twist. I really thought I would have to stop before I reached the 28.5gr load.

The day I tested them, it was cloudy and 30*F. I fired each load over my Chrony. The 24.7gr load went 3073fps, and the 28.5gr load went 3566fps!! Absolutely no excessive pressure signs. The 28.5 primer was only slightly flatter than the 24.7. No brasss flow into the ejector. No case head expansion at all. No cases sticking in the chamber.

I know the cool weather helped, but I was 1.0gr to 2.5gr (depending on the source) over listed maximums, and about 300fps faster than the listed loads! The test was a little hard to read since I was shooting at 100yds, and had a few holes with more than one bullet through them. The best I can tell, my sweet spots were 26.3gr @ 3339fps, and 28.3gr @ 3530fps.
Old January 30, 2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Shoney

I’ve been loading since 1960, and those stats are not unusual, because today standards are attorney anemic. SAAMI standards are 55,000 psi for 223, and the cup pressure listed for H338 on the Hodgdon site is hard to interpolate into psi. However, I would wager it is around 51,000 to 52,000 psi.

You didn't mention your brass, as that will make a slight difference. If it is military, then pressures would be higher than if it were Winchester.

So what am I saying, each rifle is an entity unto itself and you can get widely varying pressures using identical rifles. If I were in your place, I would play with the loads you have to find the most accurate. Should you increase the charge above your current max? Let your conscience be your guide.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 31, 2007, 08:27 AM   #3
firechicken

I knew I forgot to mention something. I'm using R-P brass. I just thought it was amazing that I was able to get 3566fps from a 50gr bullet out of a 223 with no pressure signs. At this point, I really don't have any need to try any heavier loads since I'm just using it as a target rifle. Now if I get to go on a prairie dog hunt this summer, I might need the velocity to reach out and touch 'em.
Old January 31, 2007, 01:44 PM   #4
Buckythebrewer

I think you will see them(not recommending this with the heavier powder charges near max)when You start seating into the lands.
.010 off the lands is helping you alot IMO.
Once you start seating on or into the lands(jam seating) you will probably see the signs much sooner.
Try backing off the powder charge and then seat on the lands,then if your not having any trouble(or scary signs) try working back up (very carefully) and see what happens.
For me the SURE signs are head expansion(primers get loose) and loss of brass life(1-2 loads before junking the brass.I try and stay away from those pressures.
Again if you do seat into the lands,,BACK off the powder charges before you do it.
JMO