The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2015, 07:54 PM   #1
wiiawiwb

Temporary reloading solution

In a few months, I will be moving into a home. Until then, I am in a small space where I'd like to be able to reload. I don't want to invest any money into a portable workbench as I will use that money to build a new bench once I am settled in.

I was thinking of getting a 2"x12" and mounting my Forster Co Ax to it then clamping to a table or countertop. If I do that, should I bolt or screw the press into the 2"x12"?

Any other solutions?

Last edited by wiiawiwb; August 25, 2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old August 25, 2015, 08:34 PM   #2
condor bravo

I would say preferable to using bolts as long as the extended bolts with nuts do not interfere with the 2 x 12 placement on the countertop. If there would not be clearance, use lag bolts that will not penetrate the underneath side.
Old August 25, 2015, 08:45 PM   #3
bbqncigars

I have my CoAx bolted to a piece of thick plywood to clamp to a bench for reloading. IIRC, I lightly countersunk some t-nuts (those barbed threaded flanged things used in some furniture) underneath to be flush with the bottom surface. Then used bolts of appropriate length on top.
Old August 25, 2015, 09:11 PM   #4
vaalpens

I just glued 3 pieces of 3/4" shelving together and bolted my Lee press to it. I mostly clamp it to a credenza, but I will sometime clamp it to my desk. I have loaded now over 3,800 rounds, and is still using this temporary solution. Maybe one day I will take the time to come up with a permanent reloading bench.

Attached Images
File Type: png lee_temp_mount.png (195.3 KB, 254 views)
Old August 25, 2015, 10:50 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

2x6 solution

When I first started reloading I bolted a press onto one end of a 30" long 2x6 board and wedged the board into the drawer of an end table. Closing the drawer on the 2x6 locked it into position. There was an added benefit, too. The press was at a slight leaning back angle which made inserting and removing brass easier (Single Stage RCBS RockChucker). I piled as much weight on the end table as I had and steadied the press with my left hand while I operated the lever with my right. It worked very well for quite a while.

I still use the same 2x6 35 years later, but I shortened it and use it in a folding workbench now. I like the portability my setup affords.

Lost Sheep
Old August 26, 2015, 06:07 AM   #6
stubbicatt

I have my presses mounted to 2x12 and clamp them to the table. It works fine. I countersink the bolt heads to attempt to avoid marring the table.

The RCBS Summit works really well in this application, as there is no tendency to lift or tilt, such as happens with a press with the linkage underneath the edge of the table, since the action is straight down.
Old August 26, 2015, 08:45 AM   #7
skizzums

I also clamp to whatever table I feel like working at. I use old primer trays on the bottom and it doesn't mark my wooden coffee table. I used to have a huge reloading bench in the basement, downsized for portability, so I don't have to totally disappear from my family for hours a day.
Old August 26, 2015, 10:41 AM   #8
mikld

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1433003702

Another thought. I used this set-up for a couple years. Set it up in the dining room, load a bunch and when done fold up the Workmate and stick it under my bed and stash the rest of the stuff in my closet...
Old August 26, 2015, 01:07 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...money into a portable workbench..." Any pawn shops where you are? Look for the Black and Decker Workmate mikld mentions.
And bolt. Clamps tend to slip.
Old August 26, 2015, 01:17 PM   #10
condor bravo

But with the B & D workbench as shown, it would only be suitable for light duty handgun loading. For more heavy duty rifle brass sizing, considerable weight would to be loaded on the far end to keep the workbench from tipping.
Old August 27, 2015, 11:53 AM   #11
mikld

Quote:
But with the B & D workbench as shown, it would only be suitable for light duty handgun loading. For more heavy duty rifle brass sizing, considerable weight would to be loaded on the far end to keep the workbench from tipping.
Not true.

With the Workmate set-up pictured I reloaded .44 Mag, .38/357 Mag., 9mm, 45 ACP, .223, 30-30, and 30-06. I sat with my feet resting on the Workmate frame ('cause it was comfortable) and the unit was stable enough to reload rifle ammo, handgun ammo (.44 Mag can be a bit harder to F/L size) and size cast bullets. Personal experience, not speculation..

The press is a heavy, cast iron C-H single stage. The top is 3/4 counter top. The attaching mount is 2x4. The small vise is one I used on my boat and is only a couple pounds. All together it's heavy enough to provide a stable platform for 99% of reloading needs (I didn't try F/L sizing any 500 Nitro Express brass). I used this set-up for at least two years and loaded thousands of rounds, both handgun (90% of my reloading) and rifle ammo.

No need to limit it's use to light handgun loading only...

Last edited by mikld; August 27, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old August 27, 2015, 02:54 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Workmates are a lot tougher than they look. A loading bench needs to be solid but you're not putting as much force on 'em as you'd think. Doubt they do for .50 BMG, but everything else will be fine.
Old August 27, 2015, 03:04 PM   #13
Doyle

I've got one of those B&D workmates. I don't know if the current version is like my old one but I guarantee you that I could easily jump up and down on mine. I personally wouldn't want to have to rely on it as a "portable" bench because that thing is really heavy.
Old August 27, 2015, 03:32 PM   #14
Pond, James Pond

If space is an issue have you considered a hand-press?

I haven't used my turret press in a long time since buy my hand-press. I've loaded straight-walled and bottle-neck cases and they've performed well.

When I'm done, it all goes back into a tool box, out of the way.

Not as plush as a Forster but effective and efficient when space is a premium.
Old August 27, 2015, 03:54 PM   #15
wogpotter

I go with bolt head/washer in contact with the press base, but (reversed) fender washer, washer, lock washer, nut, on the other side of the wood.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 27, 2015, 06:24 PM   #16
Doyle

James, that is exactly what I have. All my reloading equipment fits into a large tool box. I can reload anywhere I can get a surface flat enough to fit my balance beam scale and hold the various components.
Old August 27, 2015, 06:42 PM   #17
stubbicatt

Oh. Yes. Almost forgot. Make sure the grain of the wood is running the long way, so that when you apply leverage it doesn't sheer. That would give you an owie.
Old August 28, 2015, 12:27 AM   #18
wiiawiwb

I ended up buying a 2"x 10" and cutting off a 12" length. It was more than enough room to mount the CoAx and then clamped it onto a table.

Sold as a rock.

Thanks for your help.
Old August 30, 2015, 01:02 AM   #19
Jbotto

OP, The way you did it, is about exactly how I used my Co-Ax through my college apt years. Short Lags to a 2x12 or 2x10, c-clamped to the kitchen table. Roommates didn't seem to mind it too much either!