The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 4, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1
geetarman

Police shooting in Wisconsin 4/22/2011

Take a look at this video. I saw it on the news at noon and found a link.

Look what happens at about 1 minute into the video.

Anyone care to count the number of shots fired?

This is scary.

Geetarman

http://www.officer.com/video/1026188...olice-shootout
Old May 4, 2011, 05:17 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

Holly Crap...sounds like they unloaded two ARs on him.
Old May 4, 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Shooter4Life

I think the scariest part of the encounter is where it took place. Appears to be a residential neighborhood with lots of houses directly behind the bad guy. I'm thankfull noone but the bad guy was injured. Thank you to the officers for getting him off the streets.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Glenn Dee

I think they were using one of those guns from the old cowboy movies... never run out of bullets.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Holly Crap...sounds like they unloaded two ARs on him.
Naw, just hi cap pistols.

Four officers fired back. One had been shot in the foot. The shooter was a very bad dude, not the brightest brick in the stack, but very bad.
http://lacrossetribune.com/news/arti...cc4c03286.html

A bit more vid...
http://www.wkrg.com/caught_on_camera...-2011_1-45-pm/
Old May 4, 2011, 07:06 PM   #6
geetarman

Just goes to show things can go awry in no time at all. The officers are fortunate.

Geetarman
Old May 4, 2011, 08:36 PM   #7
mnero

Now that is a fire fight, fast and scary! You couldn't pay me enough to be a street cop. Too dangerous and too damn stressfull If that idiot wanted to commit suicide he should have just done it; rather then making some poor cops have to do it.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:42 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

The guy wasn't out to commit suicide. Maybe you didn't watch the video, but he was attempting to escape.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:55 AM   #9
gearhounds

Thank goodness the BG got stuck, or this could have turned into a bigger nightmare. Happy to see this guy taken out.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:05 AM   #10
Seaman

"...McCloskey was a suspect in an earlier drive-by shooting in Tomah in which no one was hurt. Police have said he may be linked to as many as 10 other seemingly random drive-by shootings across Wisconsin and Illinois...." [Jessica Larsen / Tomah Journal lacrossetribune.com | Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:15 am]

Couple of years ago I stopped visiting Illinois (and Wisconsin) since both states do not honor my carry license. Sure wouldn't want that perp shooting at me with no way to protect myself.

Good to hear no police officers or bystanders were killed.
Old May 5, 2011, 08:23 AM   #11
chadstrickland

First of all im really glad that no cops or innocent people got killed....and before I say anything eles I have never been in any situation like that and I don't know how I would have reacted or if I could think clearly with all the stress and adrenaline..however you guys have got to admit that in a suburb with houses all around them you wouldn't have sit there and emptied your mag on a truck I mean every bullet you fire is a chance of hitting someone I like how they shot out the tires and stuff....but that was a complete and utter cluster..a combination of bad aim and even worse tactics..that was pure luck that truck got stuck and nobody eles got killed
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 5, 2011, 09:04 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarman
. . . .Anyone care to count the number of shots fired?
A boatload! That was a whole lotta bullets, in a very short time.
Old May 5, 2011, 03:20 PM   #13
markj

Well this justre inforces my saying never shoot at a cop. What was he thinking? they would let him leave after shooting at them?

Sent this to my cousin he retired 2 years ago from Omahas force. My other cousin on the force since the 60s is still working part time at a desk. Never had to clear leather in all his years on the force.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:42 PM   #14
C0untZer0

I don't think the truck got stuck, it looks to me like 2 things happened simultaneusly - the tires were shot out and the driver was shot also.

I could be wrong. But when I look at where his rear tires are - it doesn't look like he's in a ditch.

I don't know...

The police officers sent a ton a lead in that guy's direction.

Last edited by C0untZer0; May 5, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old May 5, 2011, 05:24 PM   #15
PanBaccha

I just wonder how many shots hit the residential house in front of them?
Old May 5, 2011, 05:45 PM   #16
gearhounds

"I don't think the truck got stuck"

Look at the video again; the truck lurches back and visibly drops, then the air is filled with white smoke from the tire turning in place, burning rubber. Also, look at the tail light area; he actually went back and forth between drive and reverse trying to break free. I can't decide if he was trying to ram the cruiser, or get away from the obstruction keeping him trapped, but I think he was thinking escape. If he could gotten free, the chase takes on a new, more dangerous dimension.

Last edited by gearhounds; May 5, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old May 5, 2011, 05:57 PM   #17
C0untZer0

Now that I look at it closer I guess he did get stuck.

I am wondering if he dug himself in by slamming on the accelerator.

He was stupid to get out of the truck without putting in park, or putting the parking break on - not sure if he had a manual or not.

Probably was making mental mistakes cuz his mind was racing. Also, if he'd have stopped at a different corner - or in front of the telephone pole & fire hydrant he wouldn't have had to put the truck in reverse, he could have just driven forward.

Well, if the bad guys were all really smart they probably would be working for a fortune 500 company embezzling for a living.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:00 PM   #18
jimbob86

Quote:
I don't think the truck got stuck,
It appeared to me that the perp/doofus got out of his vehichle while it was still in drive and sprayed a 1/2 dozen shots at the cop .... meanwhile, his vehichle rolled forward to the pole. The perp turns to get back in and has to turn and run to get back in. At this point the officers begin returning fire, possibly hitting him. He re-enters the vehichle and the officers continue to hose it down with bullets. He he jumps on the gas, oblivious to the fact that the truck is not going to push through the utility pole.... causing the tires to smoke- you can hear the engine roaring ..... When the back window is shot out at about 1:12, you can still see him sitting up...... for 10 seconds or so, while he continues to try to drive through the telephone pole...... all the while the officers are shooting at him. Betcha he caught a slug in the back of the head......

.... I'd sure hate to have been in the house directly behind the perp's vehichle.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:04 PM   #19
Yankee Traveler

Quote:
I can't decide if he was trying to ram the cruiser, or get away from the obstruction keeping him trapped.
I figured his ticket had just been punched and he was leaning on the throttle
Old May 5, 2011, 06:08 PM   #20
Double Naught Spy

He was stuck, but I can't tell if he was somehow hung up with the phone pole (pun) on the front end as the truck does lurch and stops and then the white smoke does occur, or what exactly happened, but the truck stopped very abruptly without brakes being applied.

The way the truck pivots the back end and not the front, after further review of the vid, it does seem that the front end was somehow hung up, maybe the bumper or based on how it pivoted, the left front wheel.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:27 PM   #21
mnero

Double naught that suicide comment was a joke; as in taking on those cops was suicide
Old May 5, 2011, 09:13 PM   #22
C0untZer0

The two other things I thought of were if they thought this vehicle was connected to a drive-by shooting wouldn't they get more bacup - at least get another squad car out there for backup before pulling him over?

It didn't seem to me that I heard the BOOM of a shotgun. I would have thought that when you were going into a situation involving a possible shooter they would come out with the 12ga
Old May 5, 2011, 09:40 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

He stumbles somewhere around the 7-9th shot of return fire. I suspect he was injured at least once before he got back in his truck. What happened from that point forward probably can't be easily explained by trying to guess what a rational and uninjured person would have done.

There's some speculation that the shooter, Seth McCloskey, may have been the I-90 shooter.

http://www.wrex.com/Global/story.asp?S=14528265
Quote:
The two other things I thought of were if they thought this vehicle was connected to a drive-by shooting wouldn't they get more bacup - at least get another squad car out there for backup before pulling him over?
There were 4 officers present for the shootout.
Old May 5, 2011, 09:43 PM   #24
jimbob86

Quote:
at least get another squad car out there for backup before pulling him over?
The silver car is a plain brown wrapper, is it not? I thought I saw blinking lights in the rear window as the squad car passed it early on.....
Old May 5, 2011, 09:46 PM   #25
Dre_sa

By my count, there were approximately 60 shots fired total, given what I heard in the video. That includes the BG who put out 5 or 6 rounds.

That's about as accurate as I'm willing to get the count without spending another hour counting over and over...