The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 26, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1
hotmail.com

Mini-14 problems I think. Can anyone help me?

Anytime I fire my mini-14 I have to manually eject the shells. Is this Normal? If not how can I fix it?
Old September 26, 2009, 11:12 PM   #2
SDC

No, this is definitely not normal, but we might need a bit more information to nail down what's going on here. Does the bolt come back (even if only partially), and leave a fired case in the chamber? Does it not come back AT ALL? Have you stripped the rifle down completely to make sure that the gas port is clear, and that the gas piston is seating properly in the forward position? Is the chamber burred or somehow other scarred in a way that might make a case stick in the chamber momentarily? Does the stock have the inner shield in place that's supposed to stop the op rod/gas piston from interfering with the stock or vice-versa? These are the sorts of things you're going to have to eliminate one at a time to figure out what's actually going on.
Old September 27, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Mac's!

The most common cause of a Mini 14 suddenly not ejecting empties...and I say "Suddenly" because I hear it quite frequently. "I took it all apart and cleaned it, now it wont work"....is the gas port tube getting lost. It's tiny, it'll fall out and roll away and you may not even know it's gone. It's the tiny tube that fits in the front gas block and connects the gas port in the barrel to the pressure tube in the lower gas block. Like SDC said: More info please. Was it a gradual thing? Did you clean it recently? Did it ever work correctly? Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old September 27, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4
hotmail.com

I Just got it from a friend so im not sure how long it has been doing it. when I fire it, it doesn't try and eject it at all. I havn't broken it down and cleaned it yet. Is There anything specail I should pay attention to when i break it down and clean it?
Old September 27, 2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Mac's!

I would check if the gas port tube is in place. Unload it, lock the bolt open, unscrew the front gas block and pop the two halfs off. (Top and bottom) Look in the bottom 1/2. You should see a tiny round barrel thingy sticking out. If it's not there, look in the rifle barrel where it fits in place. It may be stuck there. If it's missing, buy a new one. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old September 29, 2009, 11:36 AM   #6
bshefa

Make sure the extractor is not broken. If it is you can order one from Ruger and replace (tricky but not too bad)

Edit: Oops my bad, I just saw the not trying to eject at all part. This really only applies if the action is cycling and the case stays in the chamber