The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Wparrish

Help deciding

Looking for opinions:

#1. M&p full size 9 mm for $499

#2. CZ -75b full size 9 mm for $ 599

It will be for home defense and range shooting. Will eventually pass down to one of my sons.
Old July 15, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2
ttarp

The CZ would be a good gun to pass down in my opinion.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:34 PM   #3
tosnyder

Help deciding

Since its a range/HD gun I would get the CZ. Bigger, heavier, softer recoil, and if you pick up some mec-gar mags you get 19+1 rounds which is nice . I've owned both and currently only own the CZ-75 SP-01, got rid of my m&p. they're both good but my CZ is more accurate, for me, and more fun to shoot.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:37 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Re: Help deciding

I live my M&P9....but in your situation I would take the CZ any day.
Old July 15, 2013, 11:41 PM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

My experience with CZ has been positive and my experience with the M&P 9mm was negative. I dumped the M&P and still have the CZ.
Old July 16, 2013, 01:28 AM   #6
JimmyR

FULL DISCLOSURE: I carry a CZ-75BD on a regular basis, and have in the past few months gotten rid of all DAO/Striker fire autoloaders in my collection in favor of SA/DA autoloaders and revolvers. I am obviously biased.

That said, for range and HD use, I think the CZ makes a better pick, unless you hope to attach a light for HD use. I think the CZ is a great gun, and points rather naturally for me. I would pick up the CZ-75 if you can.

Besides, you are more likely to see a shelf full of M&Ps than you are a shelf full of CZ's.
Old July 16, 2013, 07:23 AM   #7
loose_holster_dan

the cz. no doubt. for home defense, it's a matter of personal preference. i for one prefer the look and feel of a steel pistol over a poly any day. i have poly's for carry because they are lighter. but for range use, you would be hard pressed to improve over a cz 75b with the omega trigger and some lighter springs installed. i have a few cz's, and the 75b performs nearly as well the sp-01 shadow custom target that costs twice as much. the pcr is also a nice piece that is a great range gun and carry piece. for comfort, i definitely recommend picking up the factory rubber grips to replace the plastic grips. they are exactly the same dimensions, just softer and better for grip.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 17, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Skans

If I were your kid, I'd rather have the CZ.
Old July 17, 2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Another vote for the CZ-75.

I guess the days of the $400 CZs are long gone. That $600 price point opens up several other top-notch 9mm options that I would choose over the M&P (Walther P99 comes to mind).
Old July 19, 2013, 04:18 PM   #10
LockedBreech

They're both great guns, but I'm going to side with the majority and pick the CZ.

It's sorta like this...I have had a Beretta PX4 Storm (Beretta's polymer service pistol) for about 5 1/2 years. It has been literally flawless - no problems, no jams, no breakages, loves a variety of ammo, fires wet, dry, clean, or dirty, just a bulletproof gun.

But the first time I held a 92FS I knew it was the one I really loved, and put it at the top of my list.

The metal-frame guns just have...flair. The M&P9 will save your life, but the CZ-75B will save your life while lookin' fly.
Old July 19, 2013, 04:51 PM   #11
vladan

I surprised nobody mentioned CZ yet ... Yeah CZ hands down, and you CAN still find them cheaper than 600 bucks - I bought another one CZ75B about three months ago from kentucky gun company for 519.99 with free shipping so with FFL fee it was all under 550.
In fact they still have decocker version in stock for the same price
Old July 19, 2013, 05:47 PM   #12
WVsig

CZ is a better gun but at $599 it is over priced...
Old July 19, 2013, 09:23 PM   #13
TennJed

Help deciding

Both would be good home/range. CZ would be better to pass down.

Go CZ