The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
countryboywithgun

stupid mistake??

I think i have made a huge mistake... I was in a crazy mode and i sold my kimber custom II so i could get a smaller carry pistol because i was worried about printing when i bend over to pick up my kids. that was the only time you could see the grip frame sticking out

make me feel better. and help me finder a good small 1911 for less than 700
Old November 29, 2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Creeper

You can pick up a used "mid-priced" gun (Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory etc) for that... or a RIA, Metro Arms, Auto-Ord or Springfield Armory Mil Spec for around that price new.
Old November 29, 2012, 11:29 PM   #3
countryboywithgun

do you know anything about the metro american classic
Old November 29, 2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Creeper

I have worked on two... and shot around 200 rds in both, but I do not own one. They have a cast frame and some MIM parts (one of the reasons I had them, to upgrade a few parts and knock off a few sharp edges for their owners), but the are well machined and finished... and with the guns I shot for the time I shot them, 100% reliable with 230gr ball and 200gr HP ammo.

Had they proven to be reliable in a more extensive testing routine, I would not hesitate to use one for self-defense.

I'm sure there are a few MA owners and perhaps some 1911 'smiths who will find this thread and offer their opinions.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:07 AM   #5
bitttorrrent

well i refrain from putting stupid in front of anything except when the dog messes in the house.
i see two mistakes.
1.'being selling any gun and even more one that sounds nice. but you have 3 kids so understood. (hit your profile by mistake as on my phone)
2. changing anything because are you not in TX? i could see people freaking here but i live in the last holdout stare of il where i can only carry a brick. not the glock kind but an actual brick.

u shoulx be able to find a smaller gun but most of mine are full size but was going to order a sccy 9mm because they looked good for cc.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:06 AM   #6
qwiksdraw

do you know anything about the metro american classic

My American Classic Government Model has been pure 1911 magic from day one. Over the past 10 months I have shot almost 1000 rounds and it has not had one problem. I have shot all kinds od ammo thru it using all kinds of magazines (cheap GI mags to Wilson Combat) and my AC has not complained once. Instead, it just shoots holes in the center of the target, when I do my part of course.

If you want to do better than that, you will just be spending more money.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:35 AM   #7
loose_holster_dan

well at least you aren't plagued by having to own a kimber anymore.

look at the STI Spartan V. It will cost you $600 +tax.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 30, 2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Skans

Quote:
make me feel better. and help me finder a good small 1911 for less than 700
I just purchased a used STI LS40 (40 S&W) for under $600. I haven't range tested it yet - smallest 1911 style gun (other than Colt Mustang) out there and very nicely made!
Old November 30, 2012, 03:46 PM   #9
DealHunter

Could find a used S&W 1911 Pro Series 3 inch model for around that. Got mine LNIB used for 650.

If you look around perhaps a Springfield EMP? Haven't seen many used ones but they do show up from time to time...

And if you're set on a Kimber, new Utras/Pros are usually around 900-1k around here so perhaps a used one could be an option?
Old November 30, 2012, 04:12 PM   #10
scsov509

RIA makes a good gun for the price, and certainly that would fall within your budget. RIA's are solid, well featured for the price, and their customer service is exceptional should you ever need anything. Another option I'd explore that's at or just above your price point would be a used Sig C3. That would probably be a little harder to find, but if you could stumble upon one then you'd be really happy with the size and feature of that gun.

I will say on a related note that I would search for something ideally that's an officer frame on a 4-4.25" barrel. I will never own a 1911 with a barrel shorter than that because they start getting less and less reliable once you start going shorter barreled. So something like the C3 is ideal because it's the more compact Officer frame with a 4.25" barrel giving you the best of both worlds. Another option entirely is to look at a full sized 1911 again and consider bobtailing it to remove the part of the grip that prints most. It's easy enough to do yourself with the Ed Brown jig, and can really help make a 1911 more concealable if that's your concern.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:59 AM   #11
crazycrave

Here is a ATI Firepower Xtreme .45ACP caliber 1911 for $389 that most of the reveiwers seem happy with which has a 4.25" barrel..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...25%22+8%2B1+So