The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2005, 10:15 AM   #1
caz223

best cheap press that doesn't spill spent primers.

I upgraded to a dillon 550 a few years ago, and I want to make it clear, I'm not going back to single stage.
But sometimes you just need a little press on the bench to do some odd job, and you don't have to set up your monster machine.
Well, I've been using my RCBS partner, cheap, doesn't take up a lot of space.
The thing that really burns my biscuits is that it drops primers, 10% of cases getting decapped drop their spent primers right on the floor, where I step on them, and track them everywhere.
It's bad enough I got ground walnut on the floor, but primers too?
[/rant]
Anyway, I sold my special 5 (Which dropped a few primers), I use my 550 once a week (That drops primers, but not nearly as bad.) and I can no longer tolerate the partner littering. It's hard enough keeping the bench clean as it is, ya know?
I just tumbled/decapped/deprimed/cleaned primer pockets on a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm brass and the floor is just a mess.
Once I get the case feeder for my 550 this will no longer be a concern, but I still have 2 buckets of brass to go through.
I would even tolerate Lee equipment if it was cheap, small, and didn't spill spent primers on the floor.
Old July 18, 2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

I have never seen a press that did not spill primers, and I have used most of them. The new Lee cast iron press may work since it has a hollow ram to drop the primers straight down into a bucket or a length of tubing, but it is a massive press. Not too expensive at around $60, though. I've been thinking about trying one just because of the primer problem.

You're dead right about the need for an odd job press, though. There are endless minor jobs such as straightening dented case mouths that are best done on a light press.
Old July 18, 2005, 11:23 AM   #3
yorec

Will "tolerate" Lee products?

Good enough, then ya might be in the market to learn sumptin' Try a Lee C press - with a primer drain hole drilled under it and a properly fitting collection cup there aren't any spilled primers. Ever. Cheap and it won't break under casual oddball usage - unless ya list gorrilla wrist breakin' jobs under "casual oddball usage..."
Old July 18, 2005, 12:24 PM   #4
caz223

I can't find the press you're referring to...
Link?
Old July 18, 2005, 12:26 PM   #5
renaissance7697

The RCBS Piggyback
Old July 18, 2005, 12:43 PM   #6
caz223

The piggyback is neither, small nor cheap.
Yorec, are you referring to the lee reloader 'c' frame press, about $25?
If I can get a +1 from anybody about this press I'll buy it this minute.
Old July 18, 2005, 01:10 PM   #7
Buzzard

my Lee turret spills them too but I just put a plastic ice cream bucket under it and that catches all, I just pick it up when I am done.........
works for me
Old July 18, 2005, 02:12 PM   #8
Leftoverdj

Caz, I use the little Lee Reloader as my oddjob press, but I would not claim that it never spills a primer. It's a lot better than most about catching primers, though.
Old July 18, 2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Russ5924

I gave up on doing primers on my press.When I got my new Dillon 550 I took all the primer stuff off and threw it in a bag.The one Leftoverdj shows I use to take out the primers and A Lee Auto prime to install them.Find the press stays cleaner also and don't have to mess with all those tubes.When I started reloading was a very short time that I did away with doing primers on my Lee Turret press now that was a pain. Don't think you will ever get a way from dropping primers but that little Lee does fairly good.
Old July 18, 2005, 10:56 PM   #10
ktw

I agree with Russ5924 and Leftoverdj. I use and like the little lee reloader for depriming work. Found a new one for about $18 a couple of years ago.

99% of the primers fall through the slot behind the ram and into the hollow base of the press. I drilled a hole through the loading bench underneath the base of the press and funneled the top of the hole a bit with a dremel. Punched a hole in an empty hodgon (plastic) powder can lid and screwed it over the hole underneath the bench. Mount the empty can to the lid and it catches all the primers for easy cleanup.
Old July 18, 2005, 11:04 PM   #11
zrifleman

The Lee Classic is the press previously mentioned. At $65.00 from Midway it is a real bargain and has the RCBS Rockchucker beat six ways from Sunday. The handle is fully adjustable--left or right hand, length of handle, with neat little priming arms included. It is all steel, built super strong with lots of leverage--it is offered with a 50 BMG kit. Farris Pendell told me about it and recommended it as the best press on the market. The primers drop thru the ram into a flexable tube with a cap on the end of it. When it fills up you just dump them in a trash can.
Old July 18, 2005, 11:18 PM   #12
rwilson452

primer mess

I bought the Lee Classic Cast to use as a 2nd press for "odd jobs" and short runs for rifle load development. I have only deprimed about a hundred rounds with it. all the primers went in the tube. It's not exactly a real cheap or small press. I doubt you will ever need to buy another single stage press. I don't see how it can be worn out with proper use and maintenence.
Old July 19, 2005, 07:32 AM   #13
caz223

Well, since the little one isn't 100%, I'll see what I can do to modify my original pardner, I'm just doing it to avoid drilling more holes in the bench.
If I can't acheive reasonable success, I'll give the lee 'c' reloader a try.

Last edited by caz223; July 19, 2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old July 19, 2005, 02:35 PM   #14
caz223

Project sucessful.
Using only a used automotive hose clamp and pop can, I blocked off the slot cut into the ram for the primer arm.
Took about 5 minutes.
It shortened the stroke by 3 inches, but that's ok, I've been using it for 9mm for the last 2 months.
I don't ever remember using the primer arm on the partner, so I don't really care about losing that feature, either.
The good news, I just decapped/resized over 1000 9mm cases, 4 primers on the floor.
From over 10% to less than one half of one percent.
Good enough for me.
Old July 19, 2005, 03:35 PM   #15
MADISON

...that Doesn't Spill Primers

I use an old 1989 "Hornady Projector" for mass loadings. The Hornady priming system was the pits. I removed the decapping stim from each sizing die and, got a RCBS Auto Priming Tool, Bench Mounted [Part # 09460] and I now prime OFF THE PRESS..
Old July 19, 2005, 05:29 PM   #16
Sully2

I just use a SHOP VAC!! For old primers AND that walnut tumbeling media that gets spilled..???