The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 12:36 PM   #101
RickB

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say COLT is "America's firearm company," since it looks like the majority chooses one of two Colts for "America's firearm."
Yeah, and not only because of the guns they've made that we associate strongly with Colt, but all the other iconic guns that they've made - Gatling Gun, Thompson submachine gun, BAR, etc., etc. - over the years.
Old March 27, 2013, 02:11 PM   #102
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
My AMT long slide in original box. Are you Sara Connor?
Gorgeous, but there's no laza sighting.

To me it's also the 1911. If that's not quite true, it's certainly this American's sidearm.
Old March 27, 2013, 02:24 PM   #103
eman

I'll cast my vote for the 1911 also, a design that has stood the test of time and is immensely popular right now.
Old March 27, 2013, 06:09 PM   #104
Carmady

AFAIK only one gun was so great they named a beverage after it.

The SAA or the 1911, that is the question.

Last edited by Carmady; June 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old March 27, 2013, 06:21 PM   #105
SPEMack618

I don't know, a 1911(A1) in a leather holster seems to be more in place attached via hangers to a pistol belt, serving along side a myriad of weapons from the Krag- all the way to the M-16A2.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:15 PM   #106
dspieler

Funny, I didn't actually think it was an interesting question until reading some of the responses.

A couple of thoughts, particularly wrt to those that rule out Glock because of its Austrian roots. Consider this, what's the 'rifle of the PLO?' I'd say ak47. Indeed, you could fill in the blank of 'what's the gun of the _______ revolution' and you'd have a good chance of filling in the AK47. In fact, the flag of Mozambique has the ak actually on the flag. Whether a gun is made in the country or not I don't think should be the deciding factor.

Now, that said, we've had a good number of well made handguns, and in careful consideration of the various criteria, I've decided that the one true answer to this question is .... (drum roll)

Smith and Wesson K frame 38.

Ok, next question?
Old March 28, 2013, 10:24 AM   #107
buck460XVR

Quote:
A couple of thoughts, particularly wrt to those that rule out Glock because of its Austrian roots.
It's not just the Austrian Curtain Rod roots, but the fact that with it's short 30 years service record, it is just a flash in the pan compared to many other models out there. With the introduction of other similar models by other manufacturers it's monopoly on the intended market has dropped considerably and now is just one of many "plastic" guns. Even most recent FPS video games, where they once dominated, have moved on to other firearms. While they are a good firearm, I doubt very much that their image will ever become a American Icon with it's image displayed by anyone other than Glock fanboys and the gunshops that sell them.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:17 AM   #108
newfrontier45

The Glock is just too new and too unAmerican. It's a foreign made tool, like any other. Of course, I understand that Glock fanboys can't answer any question with anything else. If Gaston hadn't followed Bill Gates' marketing strategy, would we even be having this discussion??? Seriously, they're good guns but about as American as fried cats.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:37 PM   #109
Newton24b

ah the joke is on those who try to identify the iconic handgun of america. you cannot do that.

the true iconic handgun of america in its whole history since colonel colt released the first percussion revolver to civilian sales, has been the small size, relatively short barrelled small caliber revolver.

i mean, the quintessential SNUB NOSE. whats more iconic then that? in movies, in literature, in life? seriously, whats the most common handgun found in american cookie jars, sock drawers and bed tables?

a lil 32 or 38 caliber snubbie.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:43 PM   #110
johnwilliamson062

The romanticized spirit of yesteryear or the real one?
I vote the USFA ZIP. Telling they switched from SAA to the ZIP though, isn't it?
IF you asked all Americans to assemble armed, I doubt the majority would show up with 1911s. Glock would likely be much more popular.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:15 PM   #111
pathdoc

A foreigner's perspective - I'd have to call the 1911. Why? For sheer longevity and breadth of military service all around the world, and which still retains significant popularity in the face of all the commercial alternatives. If any handgun best represents America and what it stands for, it is the 1911.

I agree with the SAA fans that their baby should get an honourable mention. And if you say the words ".44 Magnum", what is the first nation you look to on the map?
Old March 29, 2013, 07:46 PM   #112
357 Python

If you are talking America's pistol, the 1911 hands down. If you want America's Revolver, then it would be a toss up between 3 old timers.
1. Colt Single Action Army (Peacemaker)
2. Colt Oficial Police (and other variants including the Police Positive Special)
3. S&W Military & Police(including all the model 10 variants)
I Know others will have differing opinions and that is fine. For a wheel gun the Colt SAA or a good 38 Special is about as basic as it gets. At least for me they are.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:08 PM   #113
vladan

As I grew up "behind the curtain", the iconic, all-American gun was (and for me still is) ,of course, the 1911 in .45ACP
Old March 29, 2013, 09:10 PM   #114
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
A couple of thoughts, particularly wrt to those that rule out Glock because of its Austrian roots.
Quote:
I've decided that the one true answer to this question is .... (drum roll)

Smith and Wesson K frame 38.
The Glock is very influential in its place in history but what is different in their influence is the materials used and they still built it as a semi-auto which is neither new nor perfected by them.
The American Gun that influenced the manufacturing of more and different semi autos is the 1911 .
You can categorize Glock as the father of all American polymer framed semi-autos made today if you wish, but it still remains a subcategory.

Same thing with the S&W k frame 38, its designed followed the design of the revolver. The gun that influenced the way revolver design for years to come was made by colt. Some even say the colt revolver influenced the Gatling Gun, though i have nothing on that (bet that brings up a future discussion.) The first colt revolver patent was 1838 if i recall correctly
Old March 30, 2013, 03:55 AM   #115
dakota.potts

What do we see in our movies?

Today it's Glocks, M9s, and 1911s. Also occasionally a snub nose airweight or similar.

But if you look at just about any movie set from the 40's on, the 1911 is probably featured somewhere in a gun movie. Gangsters, doughboys, vietnam vets, gangsters (modern day), cops (somehow), average joes gone renegade, that odd movie with Angelina Jolie where they bent the bullets.

I'd say these are THE guns. If you see it in a movie, on a poster, no guns sign, whatever, it's one of these. It's odd that in these roles the 1911 seems to be sexy where as the M9 is played up to be sneaky. It's either criminals or assassins using it and many times with a suppressor.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:56 PM   #116
Winchester_73

In reality, most of us love them all

Despite my preference for the 1911 thus far in this discussion, and originally, I of course really appreciate the other two most popular options, the SAA and the M&P.

There are a lot of opinions in this thread, but one thing is for sure, in my collection, I have all of the bases covered regarding the options in this thread. I even have a glock 19, but I won't bother with a pic of that :P

1911s and variations from Colt

AMT Hardballer 45 long slide, withOUT laser sighting

Here are my Colt SAAs and clones (ok I know the Rugers had some improvements, but they were based on SAAs) Top right - Colt 2nd buntline 45 , middle right, 1967 2nd gen SAA 45, bottom right New Frontier 22/22mag buntline convertible. Upper left, all 3 screw guns and unmodified, Ruger Superblackhawk 44 mag, middle left, 1968 357 blackhawk, bottom left, 1965 41 mag blackhawk.

My S&W M&Ps, two are 32-20 and all are pre war, except the Victory model. The Victory is in its original 38 S&W cal. All the rest are 38 special. DOM in this photo ranges from approx 1915 to approx 1942.

I also have some pre war M&P Targets (predecessor to the K-38 masterpiece and later the model 14). The two top guns are 1905 M&P first change M&P targets (scarce), SN 106XXX and SN 115XXX. Then there are two 1905 4th change M&P targets, SN 456XXX and SN 623XXX, bottom.

Old April 1, 2013, 09:30 PM   #117
Wreck-n-Crew

Wichester 73

Quote:
I even have a Glock 19, but I won't bother with a pic of that :P
Wanted to leave some posting room? lol
Nice collection!
Old April 1, 2013, 09:39 PM   #118
SPEMack618

Tam once posted on her blog that she never understood the Glock picture thread. After a full size, compact, and sub-compact were posted, they all sorta run together. It made for a good chuckle.

In regards to earlier, I was helping my sister move a day or two ago, and found an old picture of my Dad. He was wearing a flight suit and had a web belt with his M-1911A1 holstered on it, slung a little low, almost like a gunfighter. It was somewhere in Thailand, around 1973/74.

It really made me think about how many -1911s had been worn in such a manner, or stowed in a tanker's shoulder holster, or just shoved in someone's belt as incoming started pouring in.