The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 19, 2001, 03:01 PM   #1
Jeff, CA

I'm looking for something to simulate the size and weight of a rifle (about 4' long, 2" diameter, 7 or 8 lb) to use on my exercise walks. I have no experience or training in using such a piece as a weapon, and I haven't had any trouble with animals of any number of legs, so that aspect is farther down on my list of priorities - the size and weight are what I'm after, followed by a non-threatening appearance. I also want it to "feel friendly", so a piece of steel pipe won't do.

Spectre, in another thread you said you have a 6'2" bo, made of "canvas micarta" (?) that weighs 2x what a hardwood one would weigh. How much does it weigh, and would something like that be available in other lengths? How about $$?

Thanks.

Old May 20, 2001, 09:52 AM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Hey, Jeff.

Micarta is a composite made of melding cloth and resin. Linen micarta is a common material for scales on good knives. The canvas micarta I have has larger, more visible grain from the tighter weave of the linen. It looks like wood until you inspect it very closely.

I bought my bo from an aquaintance that also trains. I'm not certain on exact weight, but the micarta easily outweighs purple heart, which is very dense and heavy. The micarta I've found to be practically indestructible(I've broken other materials), at least in the 1 1/4" or so piece I have. I paid $100 for mine, but I believe the price had gone down a little in "production" examples. (I bought the first one. )

The problem is, I heard the guy who made my bo finally got a "real" job. I do believe a 4' ("jo") length, 2" wide piece of this material would weight at least what an average rifle would weigh. Perhaps more. I'll see if I can get an idea of exact weight of my bo after I get home this evening.

Old May 20, 2001, 10:26 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Jeff, I have a steel bar that I use for this purpose. Ran me about 15 bucks at a metal shop. Wrapped it in red duct tape and carry it everyday.

Does not fit your bill, but it's an option.

Giz
Old May 20, 2001, 01:28 PM   #4
Jeff, CA

Is it a solid bar, or a pipe? What are the dimensions & weight? How's it grip when your hands are sweaty?

Old May 20, 2001, 01:40 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

It's about two inches in diameter, solid metal (steel?), 42 inches long. Weight is right at ten pounds IIRC. I picked the length and then ran the numbers (lbs. per foot) until I was at or over my desired minimum. The duct tape is to keep my hands clean and disguise the bar. If sweat was a concern, I'd wrap some grip tape on it too.

Giz
Old May 21, 2001, 04:35 AM   #6
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
Actually a piece of steel pipe wouldn't be all that `bad'. {GRIN!} What you'd need to do would be to find a shop where you could get a `crook' bent on one end and then have them carefully weld up and grind smooth the open ends. Finally you'd have to find some of that foam tubing like they are now using for the `handlebars' on lawnmowers and slip a fairly long piece over it such that it covers the `crook' and a fair ways down the shaft. (I'd even go as far as having it `powdercoated' in either a nice gloss black or maybe even a walnut coloured finish before I slipped the `grip' on it.) The one I have was actually `faux' woodgrained to look like a nice `tight' Thornwood and while the foam grip doesn't go much farther down the shaft than the `drop' of the `crook'. (I also have a `bill' on the end of the `crook' similar to those one finds on the better `defensive' canes.) I haven't had any problems being able to hold it just about anywhere along the shaft. Oh, and everyone who's seen it and did know that it *was* a piece of iron pipe always complemented me upon the `nice cane' I had. {GRIN!} (The `goblin' I recently *used* it on didn't have very much to say until he came to in the ER and then all he could comment about was that "Suddenly a ton of bricks came out of nowhere!" *and* "He didn't know if he was *ever* going to be able to `have sex' again." {CHORTLE!} [The old `eight ball into left pocket' and chin meeting `unmoveable object' maneuver... {SNICKER}]) For your purposes the extra length probably wouldn't be all that `outlandish' and letting the `grip' material come down the shaft would just make it look a bit less `sinister' and more like a short shepherds `walking crook' which I've been seeing more of recently when I *do* get out and do a bit of `exercise walking'.

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!
Old May 21, 2001, 09:09 PM   #7
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Oh, aprox 5 lbs for my bo...
Old May 22, 2001, 12:59 PM   #8
Matt Wallis

Purpleheart Armoury makes a bayonet trainer shaped roughly like a musket. It weighs 2 pounds and is extremely durable. Check 'em out at http://www.woodenswords.com.

Regards,
Matt
Old May 22, 2001, 05:23 PM   #9
Jeff, CA

Interesting, but too light and not "non-threatening" enough

Reminds me of "All Quiet on the Western Front". The drill seargent had something like this, while the recruits struggled with iron ones.

Old May 23, 2001, 07:12 AM   #10
Matt Wallis

I understand. It is pretty cool though. Believe it or not there is a growing segment among the fencing/HEMA people to resurrect the practice of bayonet fencing. It used to actually be a part of Olympic fencing!

Matt