The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 25, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1
adrians

9mm sp101 ?

Evening folks, I have a SP101 chambered in 9mm and was curious why there isn't more 9mm revolvers ?,,, at least I don't hear much about them.
Also I have seen pics and video of people shooting them but the ones I have seen have the 2" (or so) barrel the one I have is at least 3",
anyone in the know about these?.

Have a great night and thank you..
Old September 25, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2
rgillis

Speaking for myself I'm not fond of moon clips.
Old September 25, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most of the 9mm revolvers are intended for off duty use by police who are required by regulations to use/carry a 9mm handgun but are allowed a revolver and prefer it. For that reason, 9mm revolvers are generally compatible with concealed carry, not for carry in uniform or for sporting use.

Jim
Old September 25, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
weblance

HERE is a thread I started about 9mm revolvers, and why they arent very popular. I have a Taurus 905(9mm revolver) and really enjoy it. I wanted an SP101-9mm but wasnt paying the prices they command on the popular gun auction websights. To basically boil down the comments from the thread, the resistance comes from using moon clips. I still dont really understand why some people will turn away from a revolver with moon clips. I dont find it to be a problem at all. Before prices got stupid, I could buy factory loaded FMJ 9mm ammo for $9.50/50. It gave me lots of inexpensive practice with a snub nose. I still enjoy my 905, and keep watching the rumor threads about a possible Ruger LCR in 9mm. I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.
Old September 25, 2013, 07:40 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

There have been revolvers made for 9mm that don't require clips, but they never caught on, either. I think it is just a general dislike of revolvers made for what most folks consider auto pistol cartridges. Plus the fact that revolver cartridges, especially .357, are considerably more powerful than 9mm.

Jim
Old September 26, 2013, 01:29 PM   #6
P5 Guy

But in 40S&W, 45ACP or 10mm the larger framed revolvers that hold an even number of rounds. Three and three in a moon clip is easier to carry over the full five in a circular clip.
Is there a loss in accuracy with the bullet so far from the rifling?
The cylinder being longer than needed?
Old September 26, 2013, 03:01 PM   #7
adrians

Thanks guy's ,, so from what I read it's an "maybe underpowered and moon clip" deal.

This was my wifes carry gun but she decided it was too heavy for her so she now has an LCR 38,, hhmmmmm I see a Ruger theme here in my house,,,
Old September 26, 2013, 08:07 PM   #8
weblance

I dont know how it could be underpowered... The 9mm is very close to .38+P. If you cant get it done with that, then you never will. 9mm has proven time and again, to be a very worthy cartridge. The problem is people have a dislike for moon clips. I dont see the problem. If you are a revolver fan, 9mm is a good choice because the ammo is cheap. Its much cheaper than .38 special, and has better performance. My 905 is powerful, accurate, and shoots cheap ammo. Whats not to like about that?

Old September 26, 2013, 08:38 PM   #9
gyvel

Smith & Wesson 547 (K frame) & 940 (J frame) revolvers have been made in the past.
Old September 26, 2013, 09:32 PM   #10
BamaMac54

I'd love to have a revolver in 9mm. Idk, just something about it.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:14 PM   #11
TennJed

9mm sp101 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weblance View Post
I dont know how it could be underpowered... The 9mm is very close to .38+P. If you cant get it done with that, then you never will. 9mm has proven time and again, to be a very worthy cartridge. The problem is people have a dislike for moon clips. I dont see the problem. If you are a revolver fan, 9mm is a good choice because the ammo is cheap. Its much cheaper than .38 special, and has better performance. My 905 is powerful, accurate, and shoots cheap ammo. Whats not to like about that?
Good point about ammo prices, but most revolver fans I know reload, so cost isn't as big of a factor. This may just be my circle, but I bet a good chunk of people that actually shoot revolvers a lot reload.
Old September 27, 2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Venom1956

I intend to make one someday. Out of a k frame.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 27, 2013, 07:28 AM   #13
WC145

Quote:
I dont know how it could be underpowered... The 9mm is very close to .38+P. If you cant get it done with that, then you never will. 9mm has proven time and again, to be a very worthy cartridge.
Standard pressure 9mm is hotter than +P .38spl and much more efficient out of a short barrel. I clocked WWB 115gr FMJ at 1096fps out of a Taurus 905 vs 832 for WW 125gr +P JHP and 873 for Federal 110gr +P .38spls out of a S&W 637.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old September 27, 2013, 08:00 AM   #14
9ballbilly

years ago I owned a 547 9mm. Nice gun and it didn't require moon clips. Knowing now how few of them were made I wish I'd kept it.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:20 AM   #15
BubbaBlades

I thought that a comparison picture might be of interest to those people that have never seen a 9mm revolver. Clockwise there is a P&R Medusa, a S&W 547 (both do not require moon clips), a Ruger SP101, S&W 940 and a Ruger Service Six.
My experience with these guns has been totally positive. They are dependable, powerful and 9mm ammo has been easier to find than .38 special in my local gun shops.
I have found that 9mm revolver accuracy is much more ammo dependent (both bullet weight and ammo brand) than most semi-autos I have used.
Mark
Old September 27, 2013, 12:23 PM   #16
Ozzieman

But before they make a 9mm I want to see a 5 shot 44special dag nab it!

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 27, 2013, 06:25 PM   #17
gyvel

Quote:
Charter Arms Bulldog.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Ozzieman

Charter Arms Bulldog.
I have one of those, A Taurus 445, 5 S&W 24’s, 2 S&W 21's and a 1955 target in 44 and several single action 44 SP.
I want a 5 shot Ruger 100 or 101 in special.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 28, 2013, 04:04 AM   #19
Bezoar

why not many revolvers in 9mm?

1. the ones that dont use moonclips are well not trusted. the mechanisms are able to be more affected by fouling

2. if using a moonclip the people who spent a few thousand dollars on shooting courses will be unhappy that they are unable to eject individual empties to top off the chamber.

3. the currently made 9mm come in SHORT barrels. barrel length should not be the same as a micro desert eagle .380 pocket pistol.

4. a similar revolver in .357 is hard to beat. reloading does let you get down to 9mm level
Old September 28, 2013, 05:03 AM   #20
Elerius

Quote:
The S&W 396 and 696 are 5 shot 44 specials

EDIT: Sorry I see you meant you wanted a RUGER in 44 special
Old September 28, 2013, 08:00 AM   #21
Ozzieman

Don’t want to hijack this thread but had a 396 didn’t care for it 696 if I find one it will be mine, so far only one I have found was engraved.
1 I will agree with that but with moon clips it’s by far the fastest reloading revolver made. Ever seen 6 shots fire reload 6 shots fired on target in less than 3 seconds?
2. if using a moonclip the people who spent a few thousand dollars on shooting courses will be unhappy that they are unable to eject individual empties to top off the chamber.
How do you eject single rounds in a conventional revolver other than to lift all of them and pick out the ones that have fired? Sounds slow to me
4 granted it is hard to beat but a lot of people don’t like the flash, flame, recoil of the 357 and at night they are horrible to shoot.