The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 5, 2000, 08:30 PM   #1
k in AR

I have been told that my Mini30 has a .308 barrel and that my new M-77 MK II has a .310 barrel.

Question: has anyone out there actually slugged these 7.62x39 Ruger guns to see if this is true or not??

I'd ask Ruger but they probably wouldn't tell me, plus they don't take E-Mail. I have decided to start reloading this caliber and this info would really help. I don't have any soft lead to slug a barrel with & really don't know of any possible source around my neck of the woods.

Thanks, k
Old April 5, 2000, 09:44 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

K, I can't say for sure about the 77 but the mini is .308. I would think that the 77 is also. Their reasoning is that American made ammo uses .308 bullets. George
Old April 6, 2000, 04:57 PM   #3
Hutch

Is the M77 mk II available in 7.62x39? I just visited the Ruger website, and I didn't see it. I'd REALLY like to have a compact turnbolt in that caliber.
Old April 6, 2000, 08:39 PM   #4
k in AR

Hutch,
The 7.62x39 M-77 MK II was a limited run of 1000 in 1999. They also had a limited M77 run back around 1990.

I honistly do not think that there are many NIB left out there, but I'm sure some used ones should start showing up.

These were produced in Ruger's Ultra-light synthetic stock, stainless steel series.
I have been very suprised with accuracy using Federal Classic ammo. From a cold barrel (that has had a fouling shot through it) It will put 3 shots in under 1 inch at 100 yards. Once the barrel is warm the group does open up to over 2 inches VERY quickly. But, for a noodle barrel light hunting rifle that is just fine. Trigger, well that's another story, "In the great Ruger 90's tradition" It is so heavy I'm afraid to put a scale on it. Still it is a good shooting, no recoil, accurate, rifle.
BTW: I use only Federal or Winchester factory ammo & just got my RCBS dies so I can reload for it. Thus I can not say how it would respond to the cheeper imported ammo.
k
Old April 7, 2000, 11:55 AM   #5
Hutch

Thanks, K. I suspect it'll be cold day in eternity before I can find one of them. Whether I'll be able to afford it when I find it is another matter. Seems like some enterprising outfit would turn these things out like sausages. I bet they'd sell. Hmmmm.....
Old April 7, 2000, 08:20 PM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Hutch, if you want a bolt action 7.62x39 drop me an e-mail. I'm building 3 of them now. Just include the features you want on the rifle and I'll reply with a complete quote. George