The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 4, 2002, 04:21 PM   #1
guns an planes

link question

1st off, i'm new here and would like to say hi. i wanted to more properly introduce myself on the general discussion forum and also include a link to another forum thread that has some pics of my meager collection. i typed in the whole address from the address bar but the posting came out with half of it missing. it does highlight blue and almost gets me there but i end up with a fault display on the gunboards sight. being as computer challenged as i am, i need to ask for help. any suggestions?

thanks for any help that you can offer. don
editted: i tried again on the test forum. it cuts out only the middle where you see a " ... ". the beggining and a bunch of the end are there. i could always just wait till i get home from work and try a direct attachment.
Old November 4, 2002, 04:43 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Don, try doing the following next time. Manually add the url codes at the beginning & end of the web address you're trying to post. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old November 4, 2002, 05:09 PM   #3
guns an planes

i'm bailing out on this. 3 failures is a hint to just wait till i get home. all i have to worry about with a direct attachment is to not be too big of a file size. thanks for trying to help me out.
Old November 4, 2002, 05:40 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Type it here and leave the error. I'll take a look and give you some directions.
Rich
Old November 4, 2002, 07:06 PM   #5
guns an planes

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/Ulta...ID=1422946#D16

this is exactly as it appears on the address bar as i am looking at the pic i was hoping to link to. to verify, go to gunboards, select the collector's forum, search for " meet the family", it will be the only match worded that way, from guns an planes, aug 9.

i really appreciate the assistance as i am "computer challenged". also, this is no biggie as i'll be home from work by 11 and i'll just try to post a couple of pics directly and avoid the link. thought that the link would conserve your bandwidth.

many thanks for the help, don

edit: talk about frustration.......i type the thing in and it half dissapeared. i see the whole thing but when i post....poof!

edit#2, what's missing from above should replace where those 3 dots are, raboard.cgi?action=Read&BID=5&TID=67463&P=1&
Old November 4, 2002, 10:13 PM   #6
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Hi guns an planes,

With computers, a simple "one letter" mistake is all it takes to totally screw things up. Here's the correct link: http://www.gunboards.com/forums/Ultr...ID=1422946#D16

It looks like when you retyped it you left the 'r' out of "UltraBoard" (Ultaboard). Everything you typed is still there, our software just shortens it with the three periods to keep it within a normal sized column. My link looks the same as yours, but clicking it will actually take you to the thread you were referencing.

An easy way to copy links is to highlight the entire address with your cursor either by clicking and dragging, or by double-clicking it, then copy it to your clipboard, then paste it into your post on TFL or wherever you may be.

There are keyboard shortcuts for cut and paste (command-c) and (command-v) on a Mac, and (control-c) and (control-v) on a PC. You can also find these shortcuts under your "Edit" menu.

It's good to have you here, Don. Keep on trying. This computer thing will just get easier the more time you spend on it.

I've beeen using a compter now fr more than twenny yearz aand I neber make mistades.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old November 4, 2002, 11:17 PM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks Dave.
Rich