The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 31, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
breakingcontact

What is a fair price for these magazines?

Please, not asking for bids/offers here.

I feel comfortable buying or selling between the former prices and the crazy high prices. For instance. I did buy a certain pistol magazine for $35 before the craze. Now they are going for $100. I'd be a buyer at $60-70.

So what would a fair price for buyer and seller be for:

BX-25 magazines? $50-$75?
PMag? $30?
PMag Gen 3? $40?

Is trading a good idea? Most of us who arent fully stocked or scrambling are heavy in some categories light in others. Would be nice if we could all trade straight across without money getting involved.

Please don't look at me like I'm trying to "get over". I sold something recently at a gunshow for a couple hundred less than I could have got but didn't want to take the extra time and just didn't feel comfortable selling it for me.

I'm not some do gooder, not sure if its a Karma thing or what. I've done the same with used cars. Honestly part of it is just wanting to move what I'm selling but at the same time I am happy when I feel a good/fair deal was made on both sides.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:55 AM   #2
taylorce1

Best thing you can do is open a Gunbroker account, start your auctions at a penny and let them run for 14 days. What they sell for is what you get minus GB's commission. That way you aren't ripping anyone off as people are paying what they are willing to spend.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:48 AM   #3
breakingcontact

Right. I do use gunbroker. I typically set a very fair "buy it now" price. As far as letting an auction run for 14 days, I usually do 3-5 days and hope someone just does BIN. Probably make a little less $ but then its done and I can move on.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:55 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

A fair price is whatever some one is willing to pay.

If you sell them below current market value, you'll probably see the very same magazines re-listed within a matter of minutes or hours, using your photos (since they don't even have possession yet).

Set a high BIN price, if you want the BIN option. Otherwise, let the bidders determine what they're worth.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:14 AM   #5
KO3422

I just let the auction run it's course. Whatever it sells for is what I get less GB fees. If I do set a buy it now, I set it high and if someone wants to pay it...so be it.