The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2002, 06:37 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Has steel shot caused an increase in expected velocity

I was looking at Greeners famous book a few minutes ago and studying a table of velocities that he shows. It would seem that most shotguns didn't get much over 1200 fps in the day. Now I take a look at the shelf in our local gunshops and see modern steel shot shells in 12 and 10 guage listing velocitites of 1400 fps and faster. Are these higher velocities due to the fact that it is difficult to fit an equivelent weight of steel shot into the same shell as lead, or are we loading our shells hotter than was done a century ago.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old August 23, 2002, 06:49 PM   #2
HSMITH

I am one that has jumped on the high speed shotshell wagon with both feet!

If I could shoot lead shot at waterfowl 1200 FPS would satisfy me. Steel is lighter for the same pellet size than lead so it will bleed speed much faster, initial velocity must be higher to have the same impact energy at any distance. Steel in 1300 FPS and less loadings is maxed out for range quickly, IMO it is done at 35-40 yards with #2 pellets. Lead #2 would still be VERY deadly to a duck at 60 yards. Steel #2 will kill well out to 50-55 yards in a 1500 FPS loading.

Higher velocity is good for me in lead loads too. Increased velocity gives better penetration and more shock to the animal hit. High velocity loads simply kill better.

In target loads high velocity is the rage as well, but I do not like the extra noise and recoil for no gain. I do not think the high velocity loads are any advantage on a target range. I think the fast target loads are a case of "bigger IS better" in the minds of a lot of shooters.

I have found one downside to hgh velocity. I have had a harder time getting patterns that I like with fast loads. The added velocity will push deformed or less than perfect pellets out of the pattern faster, it also can deform more pellets getting them to the higher speeds. I have been able to get what I want with a little more effort.