The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 27, 2015, 07:51 AM   #1
Hammer It

Time for a Face Lift for my Daily Carry Gun

Hi
Most of us that daily Carry either in a Holster or just stuffed in a Pocket have gun's that show the time of wear. I Myself like the Old style High Standard Derringer. They Lay Flat in your Pocket and I feel that in .22 Magnum Cartridge they will do the job of protecting myself should I need it to. They are also very accurate I can Hit the head area twice of a B-27 Target @ the 25 Yard Line with mine. That said I have had several High Standard derringer's in the past in Blued or satin Nickel finish and I came across this one by Doing a Job for a Guy and it was the Payment for the job so I just have some time invested in it. It came to me blued but very worn as shown so I decided that it needed a face lift, so I sent it off to Ford's Custom Gun refinishing in Florida. After Nine Month's it returned home Yesterday and it was well worth the wait. The barrel's are High Polished Nickel and the Frame is Brushed Nickel. This finish should wear well Opposed to Blued. If You are inclined to have your worn Looking Carry Gun refinished by Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing Just tell Them about my Nickel High Standard Derringer that you saw here for a 10 % discount on your refinishing needs or Tell them Hammerdown from Knoxville recommended them. Here are the Before and after Pictures of my High Standard derringer. Regards, Hammer It

Old May 27, 2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
They are also very accurate I can Hit the head area twice of a B-27 Target @ the 25 Yard Line with mine.
Your "re-done" gun turned out beautifully.

About accuracy: a target is standing still. An aggressor in a self-defense situation will likely be moving, not always straight at you, and doing it quickly; he or she is certainly different than a target at the range, particularly since he or she isn't likely to give you time to get ready. Accuracy may be important, but so is luck, and the ability to get in a followup shot or TWO if the moving target doesn't cooperate.

I like .22 WMR, and just love my Kel-Tec PMR-30. (I got it for my wife, who wanted something that could be used for home defense if I wasn't home -- but which didn't overwhelm her. She shoots it well.)

To be effective with a gun like you're using (or with the PMR-30) you must use ammo designed for short barrels -- otherwise you don't get meaningful penetration. If you don't do that (get the right ammo) most of the powder shows up as a big fireball and a loud noise, igniting as and after the bullet leaves the barrel, and NOT propelling the bullet. That's true even with the PMR-30, which has 4.3" barrel.

I did a lot of research before going the the PMR-30 route. It seems that most .22 Magnum ammo is designed for use in rifles. The best I've found, thus far, is Hornady's 22 WMR 45 gr FTX Critical Defense.

What ammo are you using, and have you seen any ballistic gel tests/results for that ammo when it's fired from shorter barrels? With the right ammo, you may get better results.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 27, 2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:12 AM   #3
Bake

Outstanding!Now that's what a "Pocket Pistol" should look like... Your accuracy is good. When under attack, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. So work on being slow, real fast,
Old May 27, 2015, 02:55 PM   #4
1-DAB

pretty little gun there.

i prefer bigger bullets, and more of them.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:18 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

That is a very nice High Standard. I used to have one, nickel, in .22 magnum.

Traded it off.

I find it a good gun... for my opponent to have.

But it's still a nice gun.

Deaf
Old May 27, 2015, 11:18 PM   #6
skizzums

very nice pistol. haven't seen one with the faux trigger guard and a birds head, very pretty
Old May 29, 2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Limnophile

Just wondering: How does one carry a handgun without a trigger guard safely?
Old May 29, 2015, 09:04 AM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
Just wondering: How does one carry a handgun without a trigger guard safely?
I was wondering the same thing. Most derringers I've seen have external hammers (single-action only) so a trigger guard isn't needed. This one seems to have an internal hammer.
Old May 29, 2015, 09:05 AM   #9
Hammer It

Hi
I have a Pocket Holster that cover's the Trigger guard area Nicely...Hammer It
Old May 29, 2015, 09:26 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

That gun turned out nicely... but I've always heard great things about Fords... I reciently did a chopped S&W #2 that had little nickel left, carried often, shot little... was always going to send it to Fords, but one day talked to the local gunsmith shop, & had it done in high polish blue, with gold accents, & it turned out awesome... the local shop doesn't do nickel anymore, so I have one in waiting to ship to Fords yet, that I want some blueing, & some nickel work done to it it...

as far as ammo... I both haven't found enough ( quantity ), & found what works best in my PMR-30, to use it for self defense yet... I was able to pick up some short barrel Gold Dot ammo... but I'm saving that for either a S&W or LCR in 22 Mag... ( still trying to decide between the LCR & the 351 PD )
Old May 29, 2015, 09:44 AM   #11
Hammer It

Hi
To me Ford's do the best work. Some Brag on the S&W Factory work but I have seen many of their's that are hit or Miss where as all the Ford's Guns looked Awesome. Here is a Link to drool over some that they have done. Mine is done in High Polished Nickel and the Frame is in brushed Nickel finish to set off the gun. Regards, Hammer It

http://fordsguns.com/