The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 7, 2002, 03:44 PM   #1
gburner

Abject Disgust

With another unsolved shooting in the MD/DC/VA area, the media is really humping this story. Unsubstantiated conjecture is the order of the day as Brokaw wannabees
prattle on about the what ifs and fight to get 'face time.' I'm really sick of these parasites making a grim situation even worse with their ignorant hyperbole and herd stampeding tactics. Let's stick to the facts, cover the story within factual parameters, and not give the shooters any more coverage than absolutely necessary.

There was even some opining this AM that the announced police presence at the MD schools was seen as a challenge to the maniacs. The media is aiding and abetting terror!
Old October 7, 2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Dave R

And not a single "talking head" has pointed out that...

The shootings took place in MD, which has very strict gun control laws, and NOT in neighboring VA, which has more normal gun control laws.

Wonder why.

Couldn't be that criminals are safer in areas where the polulace is more likely to be unarmed, could it?
Old October 7, 2002, 06:24 PM   #3
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

The shootings took place in MD, which has very strict gun control laws, and NOT in neighboring VA, which has more normal gun control laws.

Wonder why.

Couldn't be that criminals are safer in areas where the polulace is more likely to be unarmed, could it?

I'm sure it's a factor. I'm reasonably sure the killer is a psychotic who's already on probation and/or parole.
Old October 7, 2002, 07:39 PM   #4
Libertarian

One of the shooting did happen in VA. But your point is well taken. The killer(s) is(are) working in a predator's paradise.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." JFK

My other favorite forum is The Armed Citizen

My PGP key is 0x780B7C0A
Old October 7, 2002, 08:08 PM   #5
Capital Punishment

Quote:
One of the shooting did happen in VA. But your point is well taken. The killer(s) is(are) working in a predator's paradise.
The shooting in Virginia hasnt been confirmed to be related to the others in MD. They think it might, but they dont know for fact.
Old October 7, 2002, 08:47 PM   #6
Spackler

I don't think gun laws have anything to do with it. That somebody may or may not be armed wouldn't even enter into the mind of a person that would do something like this. And since it's a sniper, that fact that a potential victim may be armed would be a non-issue, since it's being done from some distance away.

The more likely reason for the locations is that the shooter is from that area, or lives in that area and is familiar with it.
Old October 7, 2002, 09:43 PM   #7
sumabich

Sniper BS!

From what I've seen on the reports we're not talking sniper, we're talking "drive-by". I can hear it already "we've got to outlaw the .223 for the chilren".
Old October 7, 2002, 10:06 PM   #8
Spackler

I read some reports that stated that the shots were taken from "a hundred yards away". Hard to say how much of what is being reported is actually accurate.

Certainly, the anti-gun groups will use these events to try to further their agenda.
Old October 7, 2002, 10:54 PM   #9
chaim

Quote:
The shooting in Virginia hasnt been confirmed to be related to the others in MD. They think it might, but they dont know for fact.
As a matter of fact they were indeed confirmed to be related. I haven't looked for it online but every TV and radio station here is reporting that the ballistics tests confirm that the bullets were from the same gun (and somehow I think the local news here actually is paying attention to what the investigators are saying).
Old October 8, 2002, 07:40 AM   #10
lonegunman

The media keep portraying the murderer as a "sniper" or "expert marksman", because he has made shots that may have been from as far away as 100 yds.

Now, I am not sure about you guys, but I think hitting human sized targets at 100 yds with a scoped rifle could be easily learned by about anyone in just a couple hours of practice.

I am not into scoped rifles, and probably shoot less than 50 rnds per year out of one, but 100 yd targets are boring even for me.

Hopefully when they catch this guy, they will hang him from the first tree they can find.
Old October 8, 2002, 07:46 AM   #11
Sisco

"Stick to the facts"? That is no longer a journalistic requirement.
Old October 8, 2002, 07:48 AM   #12
Leatherneck

The schoolkid in Maryland was hit from a hide about 400 feet away. Not a trivial shot, but not terribly difficult, especially with a scope. But look at his overall record: eight known shots, seven hits under different conditions. This guy has at least a modicum of skill as a shooter/hider. I actually awoke last night from a dream in which I was walking around a corner and encountered a van with a shooter in it. I had run through about three successful scenarioes involving me (CCW), the rifleman, and the lawmen before I got back to sleep.
TC
Old October 8, 2002, 12:41 PM   #13
Dave R

Leatherneck, I hope you, or someone like you, finds the murderer soon.
Old October 8, 2002, 01:45 PM   #14
Blackhawk

I can't believe there aren't more witnesses than the one who saw a white van with black lettering. That area is hip deep in people from what I recall.

Even if the rifle was seriously suppressed, the bullet makes quite a distinctive noise.

My bet is that the cops are not releasing any information about who's come forward or what they may have said.
Old October 8, 2002, 01:48 PM   #15
Hutch

LN, do you have a URL for a story that gives the information you just offered? If the po-po's have found a hide, then the whole "drive-by" MO has just gone down the gurgler. If they have in fact found a hide, then they're probably sifting a lot of clues out of it. I wish them luck, and I hope some grandmotherly sort pulls her J-frame from her purse and parks one right between the doer's headlights.
"First, the freedom to own and carry the weapon of your choice is a natural, fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and Constitutional right -- subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility" -- L. Neil Smith

' I have an [in]alienable right to bear arms. I will exercise my own judgement in their use and accept responsibilty for the consequences' - Oakleaf
Old October 8, 2002, 03:13 PM   #16
Leatherneck

Hutch,
Unfortunately, I'm going on what I recall from an article in the Wash Compost this morning. A little map showed a wooded area about 400 ft NNE of the kid's dropoff point. It looked like a smallish patch of woods in a suburban development type area. I envisioned a not-yet built-up cul-de-sac where tha van--or whatever--could be parked and a short walk through the woods would get the BG to a convenient prone shooting position. Later news reports had a LEO referring to "forensic evidence" recovered from the site, which the media soon were calling a "spent cartridge case". If true, I would think the site would yield some potentially informative bits of evidence. I'll try to verify tonight.
TC