The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2023, 07:41 AM   #1
ligonierbill

Fox Sterlingworth vs. Ithaca NID

I may need to go to a specialty shotgun site, but I thought I'd post here first. Two classics with strong locking mechanisms, neither of which I own. I do own a few old Elsies, all of which close like a bank vault. Also a Parker ("Trojan", not a pricey graded gun) and an Ithaca Flues. They're sleek and pretty, but not particularly strong. Light loads for them. The NID, of course, was designed to handle "modern" higher pressure shells, post-1926.

So, which one should I add to my collection next?
Old December 20, 2023, 10:34 AM   #2
Jim Watson

In the broad category of Good American Doubles, I think it would be best to take what comes. Don't pass up a Fox to get an Ithaca. Or a Baker or a Lefever, etc. A guy here was fond of Remington doubles, sturdy and reasonably priced.
Old December 20, 2023, 11:45 AM   #3
ligonierbill

Yeah, from the reading I've done, it seems to be Ford vs. Chevy. But I'm interested in all opinions.
Old December 20, 2023, 02:04 PM   #4
HiBC

From my fuzzy recall, "Best Guns" by McIntire. I may have spelled his name wrong.
Its about the fine American made double shotguns.

If at all possible, handle or better, shoot them to make up your mind.

I'd go with the one that fits.
Old December 20, 2023, 03:06 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

What are your wants/expectations for each one? Besides the obvious, such as choosing the NID if you're going to shoot modern pressure loads for example, what are the hang-ups on your choices?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 20, 2023, 03:47 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

There has been an Ithaca 12gr double in my family since my grandfather bought his in 1909. The same gun. I have it now, and, hopefully, someday my Grandson will have it.

I don't recall if it is a Flues model or a NID, ser# is 1900XX. 3 1/4 dr eq for that gun, I have a letter from the Ithaca VP dated 1949 stating not to use "Express" loads as they were not needed, and would be "akin to using a bulldozer to thread a needle".

Papa's gun was made to his order, the stock has a bit more drop than is usual, barrels are 26" Fluid Steel, and choked Full/Full, in the old school manner, so you can balance a dime on the muzzle. Double triggers, naturally, and extractors. Papa once told he the only thing he regretted was not spending the extra $1.50 and getting ejectors.

The gun has a 3 position safety, something I've not seen on other (field grade) Ithacas of the era. It NEVER needs to be snapped/dry fired and can be stored uncocked.

The Fox guns I've seen are well done, but for me, its the Ithaca, hands down.

Yes, I have a strong emotional attachment, so I'm sure that influences my opinion, but so what. There are still some things you just can't put a price on.
Old December 21, 2023, 07:45 AM   #7
ligonierbill

I am simply seeking opinions here. But I'll add that I really like my Ithaca Flues 12 ga M/F choke. I would like another shotgun of similar lines (and that choke set - my Elsies are all more open chokes) that would tolerate a wider variety of ammo. Some makers did not substantially change their guns in 1926, Hunter Arms for example. While I would not run some of the hotter modern loads in any vintage gun (waste of powder and shot in my opinion), I specifically buy RST light loads for the Ithaca and Parker. Not so concerned with barrels, rather frame cracking and "shooting loose".
Old December 21, 2023, 11:19 AM   #8
hammie

For the benefit of the one or two dummies like me at this site, if you're going to talk in acronyms, at least define it once. I had to search a little, but "NID" means "New Ithaca Double". Apparently, it was Ithaca's last rendition of a side by side. Anyway, I learned something. ...oh, and I assumed that an elsie is an L.C. Smith?

@lingonier: Good luck on your quest.
Old December 21, 2023, 02:12 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I believe Ithaca referred to the NID as the "New Industry Double".

When I grew up, "Elsie" was the cow on the Borden milk carton, or sometimes the name of some older ladies...
Old December 21, 2023, 02:44 PM   #10
ligonierbill

See, you really can get an education on the internet. l
Old December 21, 2023, 04:25 PM   #11
hammie

@lingonier: True that!