The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1
magnets

Dillon Square Deal B powder issues

I'm having some issues with the Dillon SDB.

I'm loading 9mm with Unique powder, and the powder is being dispensed at irregular amounts. The powder's filled about 2/3 of the container, and I've adjusted so that it usually throws the right amount, but then sometimes it won't dispense any powder at all into one case, then will throw a full charge, plus a bit extra that seems to have gotten "hung up" in the measure in the next, then you'll get a dozen normal, then another few empties, then an overcharge...

Even though I'm looking inside every case, and catching most of the errors before seating the bullet, it's massively slowed down the process, every few cartridges having to remove the case, cycle twice more to open up the second station, and replacing it there to throw another charge that may or may not be right.

Then, because of the problems, I'm even weighing each completed cartridge, and pulling the bullets of any that vary over a grain difference, and checking the powder level, which is almost always under charged.

Anyone had the same problem? Any ideas of where to start looking to fix it? Is this a normal and accepted issue?
Old August 23, 2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Jim Watson

That is not normal or acceptable. It will drive you nuts and discourage you from handloading and is potentially dangerous if one gets by you.

The real cure is to not use large flake powder in a progressive loader. A Ball, extruded, or small flake powder will meter well enough to avoid such aggravations.

The bandaid is to provide some vibration to settle the Unique into the measure bar. I use a $6 aquarium air pump strapped to the measure hopper so I can load pistol ammunition with the 700X I like for shotshells.
Old August 23, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

When you run out of Unique, get Hodgdon Universal Clays instead. Reduce the charge 5% and work up to match velocity for the Unique. Universal Clays is very close to Unique and even matches it grain-for-grain in some loads. But it is a smaller flattened sphere grain that meters much more reliably and burns cleaner.

In the interim, use the aquarium pump, and it won't hurt to add a second powder baffle in addition to the molded-in one. You can download templates and instructions for making one in PDF format free from my file repository.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 23, 2009, 07:42 PM   #4
D. Manley

Quote:
I'm having some issues with the Dillon SDB.

I'm loading 9mm with Unique powder, and the powder is being dispensed at irregular amounts. The powder's filled about 2/3 of the container, and I've adjusted so that it usually throws the right amount, but then sometimes it won't dispense any powder at all into one case, then will throw a full charge, plus a bit extra that seems to have gotten "hung up" in the measure in the next, then you'll get a dozen normal, then another few empties, then an overcharge...

Even though I'm looking inside every case, and catching most of the errors before seating the bullet, it's massively slowed down the process, every few cartridges having to remove the case, cycle twice more to open up the second station, and replacing it there to throw another charge that may or may not be right.

Then, because of the problems, I'm even weighing each completed cartridge, and pulling the bullets of any that vary over a grain difference, and checking the powder level, which is almost always under charged.

Anyone had the same problem? Any ideas of where to start looking to fix it? Is this a normal and accepted issue?
As Jim said, "not normal" although as pointed out by U.N., Unique is not among the best metering of powders. I personally have never cared much for Unique but on my SDB, it does meter just fine. I should point out I do use an extra baffle in mine, though.

The extreme swings you describe sounds to me like your powder may be "clumping" or "bridging" on you. Is it left in the measure for extended periods (not good) or is it possible your powder die has somehow became a bit clogged? Might double-check the tension wing-nut on the fail-safe rod and be sure you're getting full open | full close on the powder bar.
Old August 23, 2009, 08:18 PM   #5
magnets

I'm fairly new to reloading - only a few hundred rounds through it, and went with the powder/projectile combo that my club use on thousands of rounds daily. I'll have to see what other powders I can get my hands on, but being in Australia, powder isn't the kind of thing you find at every other store, although I must admit to being surprised what I have found so far.

I tried on my last reloading session to add the new case to station one, tap the hopper twice, then place the bullet at station three before cycling the handle, and I did get a bit more consistancy, but it was another thing slowing down the session I wasn't expecting when I got a progressive press, so I'll give the aquarium pump a try. Nobody can say reloaders aren't resourceful. Can't hurt to give the double baffle a try too.

The powder gets put in the hopper at the start of a reloading session, and any left over is returned to it's container at the end, so no extended periods in the measure.

I have been watching the powder bar move all the way over, but will check the wing-nut when I get home tonight.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll let you know how I go.
Old August 23, 2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Ahh, a really new measure then. Two things you should do. Detach the measure from the machine and dump the powder out into a temporary container. Go to the wife (or to the landlady or dear old mum if you're not married; don't use the girlfriend in this event or she'll think your making sexist assumptions about her role in life) and get one of those clothes dryer softener sheets they throw in with the clothes to be dried. Wipe out the inside of the powder hopper all over with it. It includes a good anti-static agent that will keep the plastic from hanging on to the powder. Next, pop down to the hardware and get a tube or two of graphite powder. Empty it into the measure, put the lid on, then shake it about. Then put the measure back on the press and cycle the graphite powder into cases. When its gone, drop it back in the hopper. Cycle it through several times to get all the measure parts coated.

Add the second baffle from my file if you can, then put the powder back and cycle the powder through a dozen casefulls and back into the hopper. See if things don't behave a bit better after all that? The aquarium pump is still good for higher precision. Without some kind of vibration I find +/- 0.3 grains is about all I can get out of Unique. It is not powder measure friendly IME, though others have had better luck with it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; August 23, 2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old August 23, 2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Farmland

it is very true about the static build up and the extra baffle helps. A few things in addition that I have done to make this measure work a little better was to polish the metal part of the measure along with the powder funnel. In addition I don't let the powder fall below half empty.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:15 PM   #8
magnets

Ok, so: dryer sheet (the girlfriend would just give me that look if I asked her, so I'll have to buy some tonight) on the plastic parts, graphite powder through the hopper and into cases, baffle, check the wing nut, aquarium pump, polish metal & powder funnel, try again, finish batch, celebrate great results with a beer, shoot tomorrow.
Old August 23, 2009, 10:14 PM   #9
D. Manley

Dillons instructions are very good but proper adjustment of the fail-safe bar is a little vague. To adjust it, press full forward on the handle as if seating a primer. Tighten the wing-nut until the spring is fully compressed -then- back it off one full turn or just a little more. When changing calibers you need to check it and readjust as necessary.
Old August 23, 2009, 11:00 PM   #10
jfrey

I use Unique in both my 9mm and .45 SDB loaders and don't have any problems with powder flow. I have grounded both loaders to a secure electrical grounding source and it helps greatly with static buildup. I also took the powder bar apart and polished the inside areas with a dremel tool and polishing compound which greatly helps the powder flow. It does sound like your powder may have gotten a little damp and might be clumping in the loader. I tried the dryer sheets and didn't like the film it left on everything. I would pour the powder out and see if it is clumpy or not. You might want to just try an new batch of powder and see if it helps. My loader will normally stay within +-.1 gr., occassionally .2 gr. A lot depends on a steady, constant stroke of the arm on the loader. If your loader isn't bolted down securely to a table or bench that doesn't move, you will have eratic loads sometimes.

If you don't resolve the problem soon, be sure to call Dillon customer service and talk to them. They are a wealth of information and can normally trouble shoot any problem.
Old August 24, 2009, 05:50 AM   #11
magnets

Ok, solution was found.

Those on the track of clumped powder were correct. Looks like on perhaps my first session after putting the thing together, I didn't completely get the powder out of the powder funnel, and after pulling it all apart, it was painfully obvious.

Pulled out the .22 cleaning kit and ran a patch through until it was all clean, put it all back together again, and had my first proper consistant loading session. It's always the simple things that allude you, and in a way I'm glad it happened as it forced me to really get to know how that part of the press worked.

Thanks for your help everyone, I dedicate my comp shoot tomorrow to you guys.

Might go the graphite and polish anyway next weekend.
Old August 24, 2009, 02:24 PM   #12
D. Manley

Quote:
...Those on the track of clumped powder were correct. Looks like on perhaps my first session after putting the thing together, I didn't completely get the powder out of the powder funnel, and after pulling it all apart, it was painfully obvious.
Easiest way to empty it is remove the PM, dump the powder while tapping it to get all you can that's out of sight down below the the baffle. Then, replace the measure and throw enough charges to be sure it's fully empty...usually, about half a dozen or so if you shook most of it out to start with.
Old August 24, 2009, 02:45 PM   #13
BigJimP

Glad to hear you found the problem.

Always trust your instincts - and go back to step 1, clean measure, etc ... / everytime I have a problem, its typically the " last place human hands touched it " is where I find the problem...

If you can't get that powder measure working consistently down to no more than a 0.1 grain variation / its time to go to another powder / like TiteGroup that meters a little better ( or maybe Universal )..... but all the other suggetions on anti-static, etc are good ones too.