The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1
shooter_from_show-me

Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets

What do you think about them? I picked up 2 boxes w/250 of the .38 125gr bullets each to use for making up loads for my S&W Mod 27 .357mag Thanks for any input!

Bill

NRA Life Member
Old August 19, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
hornady

I have loaded a bunch in 380 an 45ACP. Just keep the loads down. And don’t put to much crimp on them. They are real soft. but load nice. Shoot well. And you shore cant beat the cost. They do still have the free shipping on orders over $50.00 don’t they..
Old August 19, 2009, 05:29 PM   #3
oneounceload

Use them in 9 and 38 - work great....just follow their load guidelines as to velocity
Old August 19, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
GMAN

I been using them in 9mm with no problems. They have 1000/$62 with a bad nose punch, but they work great for plinking. Can be found under "Specials"
Old August 19, 2009, 06:13 PM   #5
ZeSpectre

I like 'em. So far I've loaded somewhere around 6,000 split between my favorite calibers. I've cooked up a combination of the Berry's and Unique that my 1911 just loves and the same for my .40 SIG 229.

At one point (I want to say my second order) I found some seriously squashed bullets (about seven) and when I contacted Berry's they said "sorry, we'll make it right" and sent me 50 more!
Old August 19, 2009, 06:20 PM   #6
zxcvbob

Quote:
.38 125gr [Berry's plated] bullets
If those are the hollow-points, they are the most accurate bullet I've found for my Model 15 (loaded with 4.0 grains of Promo or Red Dot.) But they've gotten a little too expensive for my taste, so I mostly cast my own bullets now.

My BHP won't feed the 9mm version of that bullet though, the nose is too broad and catches at the bottom of the feed ramp.
Old August 19, 2009, 06:23 PM   #7
hornady

On another form I go to, a few months back they were talking about that, Berrys will make it right with you if there is a problem. I know in all the orders I have put through with them. No complaints.
Old August 19, 2009, 06:43 PM   #8
jfrey

After trying several brands, Berry's bullets are all I use for .45 ACP and 9mm. I loaded about 9000 or so of them last year and didn't have any problems with the bullets. I did get one shipment that was short on bullets. I called Berry's and they sent me a box of 50 to make up the difference. You couldn't ask for much more.
Old August 19, 2009, 06:53 PM   #9
tomh1426

Out of the 1500 I loaded I found a few that were way undersized and a couple of 125's in my box of 158's.
They say to load them like cast so why not just shoot cast bullets and save the $$?
At first I loved them but now, not so much!
Old August 19, 2009, 08:16 PM   #10
ZeSpectre

Quote:
They say to load them like cast so why not just shoot cast bullets and save the $$?
I don't know about anyone else but for me it's because I try to handle as little lead as possible and I feel like plated helps with that.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:33 PM   #11
oneounceload

Actually, they say not to exceed 1200 fps or go to about mid-range on jacketed

Quote:
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
so you can load them a little faster than lead, but not as fast as jacketed..
Old August 19, 2009, 08:34 PM   #12
oneounceload

Actually, they say not to exceed 1200 fps or go to about mid-range on jacketed

Quote:
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
Quote:
Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.

so you can load them a little faster than lead, but not as fast as jacketed..
Old August 19, 2009, 08:34 PM   #13
studman5578

true true i agree with zespectre, You also don't have to worry about any problem with smokey loads due to the lubricant, which is a big factor for me. Although it might vary depend on your particular shooting location.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old August 19, 2009, 08:57 PM   #14
Gun 4 Fun

I have shot quite a few of the .44 HP's out of my .44 mag's, and they do shoot very well, in spite of the fact that they creep forward out of the case quite easily. My load is only 8 grains of 231, so it's not a warm load, much less a hot one. Each and every one has crept forward. I've even crimped them hard enough to form my own crimping groove on them, and still they creep. They still shot well with the self formed crimp though.

My expander ball is .005" under nominal bullet diameter, so that isn't an issue, and the brass is fairly new, and resizes properly.
Old August 19, 2009, 11:59 PM   #15
jamaica

I have shot quite a few Berry's plated in 44 Spl, 45 Auto, and .357. No problens to report here. I put a mild crimp on them. I am keeping the velocities down. I have also used some cast lead bullets from Berry's. They went good too.

I recently bought 1000 100 gr plated for 380. These I ordered direct from Berry's. At the time of the order I was told there would be some delay because of heavy orders. I think it was 5 weks, but I got them. I loaded 20 and shot them and they worked OK. I will load up a bunch more now that I know the recipe is good.
Old August 20, 2009, 01:44 PM   #16
BigJimP

I think they're decent bullets - just load them as suggested.

I prefer Montana Gold - but I've used a few of these in 9mm, .357mag and .40 S&W .
Old August 24, 2009, 10:11 PM   #17
tmd47762

I've had no problems with them for range ammo in 9mm Makarov even out of a polygonal barreled vz 82. They're clean and accurate enough for a service automatic.