The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2009, 10:03 AM   #1
CrazyHorse89

Can I SWAGE Bullets for under $500??

Ok, I have done some research, I have started to reload heavly into .45 and .40, amost 10k rounds per month now.

My Biggest problem is getting my suppliers to have Bullets in stock.

I found that i can buy a CORBIN Swaging press but with the dies and Press it is in excess of 1k, I don't have

The thing about the CORBIN I like is the ability to feed it lead wire.

Question, can you SWAGE with something much cheaper, maybe a single stage press.

If you had to put a Grocery list of Items to buy for under $500 is it possible for me to start Making my own bullts W/O Casting them?

BTW, I only want to SWAGE for FMJ

Thanks,

Paul
Old August 24, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Sevens

I wish I could help... I can't.
But from where I'm standing, there's a simple bit of math that jumps out at me.

"don't have $1000" and "load almost 10,000 rounds per month"

Quit shooting for a couple months and you'll have a PILE of money left over!
Old August 24, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

At one time C-H made pistol swaging dies that fit all HD presses 7/8-14. They made a semi-rn bullet flat point or with a hollow point. Startlooking for those dies.
Old August 24, 2009, 10:34 AM   #4
CrazyHorse89

Quote:
But from where I'm standing, there's a simple bit of math that jumps out at me
I have started to reload as a side business (I have FFL6 and Insurance). SO money is TIGHT. Starting your own business is Costly. I could get into the details of why i dont have that much money but the Answer right now is: NO i don't. As soon as I earn Some extra cash I usually turn around a buy more supplies, but PROBLEM is suppliers DONT have any.

The 10k is about how much I'm selling at this point.

So back to my question.

Thank you,

Paul
Old August 24, 2009, 10:37 AM   #5
snuffy

If you're loading 10K a month, you're most likely loading on some kind of progressive. I can assure you, you won't be loading that many if you start swaging. It's a time consuming, laborious process. There's no such thing as a progressive swaging press!

Same goes for casting. Even with 6 hole molds, you're doing well to be able to cast 1K in 3-4 hours. Then they have to be lubed/sized, another couple hours.

Right now, there's no solution to your problem. Components are just not available, the lead prices, copper prices and primers, are all hard to come by.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?