The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Bella

First Adjustment?

You put together a new load for your favorite rifle. You take it to the range and test fire it. You are getting five shot groups hovering around an inch and a half in nice shaped patterns. You know that this rifle can shoot loads closer to the one inch mark. So you decide to tweak this load to see if you can shrink it.

Where are going to start? Would you first make slight adjustments to the powder charge? Would you start by playing with the bullet seating depth? Would you try a different primer? Is there something else you'll try?

What is your first step in trying to get any given load to shoot better?
Old August 23, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
langenc

Depending on how close to max the load is, Id probably try a grain or grain and one-half hotter. Then Id try a longer COL (+10 and then +15 thousands) and see what that does. The increase length assmes it will feed thru the system, assuming it is not a single shot.
Old August 23, 2009, 01:00 PM   #3
rwilson452

I would adjust the powder charge to get the best result. Then I would adjust the COAL to get the best result. Then do it all over again. If it's not good enough I would switch powders. Then start over with a different bullet.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Shoney

Presuming
1. you are beginning to use a new powder, or bullet or both; and
2. you are searching for an accuracy load with that combination of components for the first time;

It makes absolutely no sence to load one load and go to the range. The only thing that it tells you is that particular comination gave you a 1.5 inch group. You have no information on which to base what to do next.

I load several groups of 5 cartridge at increments of 0.3 or 0.5 grains, depending on the cartridge I'm loading. The starting point may be at minimum listed or at slightly above minimum, and continue to the max listed load.

At the range I have targets for each load, and shoot them slowly with time between loads for the barrel to cool. I continually watch for pressure signs and use a chronograph.

After all cartridges are fired, I examine the targets and get an idea of the most accurate load. At the bench I tweek the loads up and down in small increments, the go to the range to see if the most accurate load gets better.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 23, 2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Gbro

And if what Shoney posted isn't your cup of tea, then neither is reloading.
That is why this rediculase shortage of components is so frustrating!
I did one time lucked out with a new rifle and the 1st batch of loads were the best, not only that I had never loaded rounds that good ever, and they were 200fps below max. And never even considered bumping them up at all.
Other loadings I worked for weeks getting results that I had to live with.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I start with a minimum load and adjust bullet depth first. The reason? If you go deep enough into the case pressure will rise do to reducing the volume the powder starts burning in. If you go to close to the lands you also raise pressure due to less gas getting out of the mouth and past the bullet before the bullet seals off the bore. So, somewhere inbetween is a minimum. I just don't know where my seating depth will land relative to that minimum, so I want a load low enough that it won't be too high with the bullet either deep in the case or, at the other extreme, touching the lands.

Once bullet seating depth is settled, I use Dan Newberry's round robin method to find the best load with a particular powder. You can read about it here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 23, 2009, 06:56 PM   #7
wncchester

"I load several groups of 5 cartridge at increments of 0.3 or 0.5 grains, depending on the cartridge I'm loading"

Ditto.

Moving in full grain or grain and a half steps could totally skip over the best charge in many cartridges, IMHO.