The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 15, 2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Steamboatsig

Beretta 92FS INOX. Turners Pasadena Sales Guy Says No.

The sales guy at Turners in Pasadena threw me for a loop when I went to pick up this Private Party Transfer. He told me that this gun isn't an INOX because the INOX has a beefier *slide (like the Brigadier), and that this gun doesn't have an INOX Roll Mark. I told him INOX meant Stainless, but he insisted it wasn't an INOX. I didn't argue with him.

Is this an INOX or not?

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"

Last edited by Steamboatsig; April 16, 2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Adding Verbiage
Old April 15, 2017, 11:59 AM   #2
CDR_Glock

Inox is stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 15, 2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Overkill777

Looks INOX to me.

Gun store counter guys say some of the dumbest things.
Old April 15, 2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Tibult

http://www.berettasupport.com/applic...search_new.htm
This will give the exact model
Old April 15, 2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Steamboatsig

Thank you Tibult

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"
Old April 15, 2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Tibult

Your welcome,
You can now educate the ignorant salesman with data he cannot dispute from the manufacturer itself.While his ignorance is not dangerous to the public it leads to misinformation that spreads and causes people to be ripped off on price of their gun or be price gouged by false advertising.
Old April 15, 2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Steamboatsig

It makes you wonder what other misinformation he is spreading to the public. I already shudder every time I have to go to a gun store and see the people that are buying guns here in California. Watching a buyer struggle with handgun manipulation with their finger on the trigger and pointing it at everyone in the building is maddening.

Old April 15, 2017, 01:36 PM   #8
JoeSixpack

Inox just means stainless.
The slide won't be any more "beefy"
The brigadier model came in both black and inox (and iirc black inox called the Cajon)

You can tell if the slide is really stainless by looking at the front of it, between the barrel and guide rod it will say "stainless".
That is unless they changed production.

I've seen some of the black 92's painted to look stainless with things like np3
and they do so quite convincingly so I can't say for sure but based on the picture it look legit to me.

The all inox 92's are very beautiful, Congrats
Old April 15, 2017, 01:53 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Gun stores are where correct information goes to die.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 15, 2017, 02:01 PM   #10
UncleEd

Inox on the door and no one answers.
Old April 15, 2017, 02:02 PM   #11
GeneS

That's an older Inox before they went to the frame with angled dust cover and black control levers. Yours is nicer looking than the new ones IMO. Love the grips too.
Old April 15, 2017, 02:10 PM   #12
75218ron

Quote:
Is this an INOX or not?
That salesman was just trying to burst your bubble. He would kill to have a gun like that. It is an Inox, made before they changed the control levers to black. It looks new and in great shape.
Old April 15, 2017, 04:23 PM   #13
Steamboatsig

Well, I think this photo seals the deal.

Old April 15, 2017, 05:03 PM   #14
lamarw

Mine is very similar to yours; although there are a few minor differences. On the right side of slide on mine it states "WARNING: RETRACT SLIDE TO SEE IF LOADED. FIRES WITHOUT MAGAZINE". On the frame below that on the right side it states: "READ MANUAL BEFORE USE". Mine is stamped STAINLESS on the top of the barrel and in the front of the slide.

I purchased mine new on Jan. 29, 2010. It also has the stainless controls like yours. I suspect yours maybe a little older than mine due to the lack of the above stamped wording. Mine is not marked anywhere, I am aware of, the wording INOX. The factory box does state on the label: MODELO - MODEL 92FSINO. The CODE block is: A564S611100100, and the CATALOGUE CODE is: JS92F505. The ORDER is: U00. The serial number is M53746Z. I am sure something in the above indicated the date of manufacture, but I do not know the answer therefore do not know the date of manufacture.

I did not remove the grips to look underneath on the frame since I replaced the factory grips with Crimson Trace grips and have it zero'ed in. I put the original grips back in the factory box for safe keeping.
Old April 15, 2017, 05:32 PM   #15
Steamboatsig

Thanks for the information, lamarw. I think we figured out that the Turners' Salesperson didn't know what he was talking about. After a serial number search, I did in fact find the Product Description, "92FS INOX 3-DOT RUBBER". Mine was manufactured in 1999.

Last edited by Steamboatsig; April 15, 2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Added Manufactured Date
Old April 15, 2017, 07:46 PM   #16
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Well, I think this photo seals the deal.
Indeed, you haz the real deal, take good care of her.

Mine was the 2nd gun I ever bought and besides the guns inherited from my father the 2nd to last gun I'd sell.

It's really the 92's most beautiful form when it's in full stainless.
Often find them with black levers.. Blasphemy!
Old April 15, 2017, 08:07 PM   #17
TXAZ

Nice grips.

I think you should send it to me to comprehensively test it and issue a report after a few thousand rounds. No charge as I like your handle. PM me for the address to ship it to.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 15, 2017, 09:46 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
He told me that this gun isn't an INOX because the INOX has a beefier frame (like the Brigadier), and that this gun doesn't have an INOX Roll Mark.
The guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

1. There is no Brigadier frame--it uses the same frame as a regular 92/96. The Brigadier Berettas do have a beefier SLIDE.

2. INOX just means stainless and it refers primarily to the slide & barrel. The INOX frames are aluminum, just like the regular 92 frames. They are just anodized so they appear a silver color unlike the regular 92 frames which have a dark finish on them.

Here's the information from Beretta on my stainless 92FS which is marked identically to yours--but with a different serial # obviously.

Serial Number: BER13XXXX
Model: J92F500
Product Description: 92FS INOX 3-DOT RUBBER
Approximate Manufacture Date: 1999
Parts Listing: Parts
Owners Manual: Manual
Product Brochure or Literature: Brochure
Choke System: NOT APPLICABLE
Barrel: UD81069 -BARREL, 92 INOX (ASSY)
Stock: Stock-Not Available/Forend-Not Available
Old April 15, 2017, 09:49 PM   #19
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

If Beretta or any US or European manufacturer says Stainless or Inox then it is real inox.

Another Story is with Taurus. They have "inox" models as well but I am told by the factory it is just a finish. Each Taurus agent tells you another Story (on says the Barrel is rwla stainless but the slide not. Another says the slide is real stainless but the Barrel not).
The Taurus PT 92 AFS most likely is NOT stainless even if it is marketed as inox.
Old April 15, 2017, 10:21 PM   #20
redlightrich

I must say, those grips really look perfect on that gun. It is a real beauty!!!

Enjoy!!!!

Rich
Old April 16, 2017, 09:53 AM   #21
Pabst

The ever so helpful person behind the counter at the LGS I buy my guns from told me the B in 75 BD meant black on my first visit to the store. I rolled my eyes and let it go. Even people working in guns stores can be a little ignorant sometimes. I just bite my tongue til it bleeds.
Old April 16, 2017, 10:20 AM   #22
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

It went all down to Business.
Sales sales sales.
At least were I am located.

If you ask them if a gun works you can literally feel they tell you only what you wanna hear.
Very in depth knowledge is not present anymore (if it ever was).

About reloading I learned all in Forums and on Youtube.
Local Gunshops rather want you to fail with reloading since they sell less ammo.
Old April 16, 2017, 11:11 AM   #23
JoeSixpack

@TheGuyOfSouthamerica
The Taurus 92 AFS most definitely is a stainless slide and barrel.
Or do you think Taurus is just selling guns stripped down in the white?

The older models had stainless controls but now days they just come with hard chromed controls and a black hammer.

The frames comes polished (and then anodized) which give them a shiny mirror like "bling" finish.

Beretta goes with more matte stainless look.
Inox is apparently Italian for stainless, Taurus is in Brazil, They don't use the word Inox.
Old April 16, 2017, 11:24 AM   #24
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Inox is a common known word in ALL languages for stainless steel. Inox means inoxidable (in spanish) and most likely derives from latin.

Inox means: In=No Ox=oxidation. =InOx = No Oxidation
a material which does not oxidise.
There ya go.

According to Taurus Chat on their webside, Taurus DOES NOT MAKE ANY REAL STAINLESS STEEL. It's carbon steel finished with stainless (whatever that means).

I would be glad if my gun would be real stainless but according to Taurus eighter the slide is real stainless or the Barrel. According to other Agent neighter of them is.
Controls are all "MIM alloy" according to Taurus "which will not rust if propperly maintained"

Taurus is famous for inox FINISH. They usually do NOT use real stainless steel.

Here my Chat with Taurus. The very opposite was told to me by the same Agent a few months ago and I supect the Agent is a Computer or machine.
Quote:
Welcome to taurususa ME [Where only the time is it's my Chat post], Fran will be right with you. Your chat ID is XXXXXXXXXXXX.

Fran 4:32:09 PM

Thank you for contacting Customer Care. My name is Francesca. I will be assisting you today!

Fran 4:32:10 PM

Hi, how may I help you today?

4:32:50 PM

I just bougth this gun.http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=92

4:33:02 PM

And have some questions

4:33:35 PM

PT 92 AFS satinless 9mm Para

4:34:54 PM

I Held an magnet to the slide and Barrel and it slightly sticked to all Metall parts except the Frame. If it is really supposed to be stainless must it then not stick to the Metall?

Fran 4:35:48 PM

It's a stainless finish .

Fran 4:36:05 PM

It carbon steel over a stainless finish .

4:36:23 PM

the slide as well?

Fran 4:36:47 PM

Yes

4:36:59 PM

What about the Frame?

Fran 4:38:06 PM

Same

4:38:42 PM

that cant be in my opinion. Then a mgnet will stick but it does not.

4:39:56 PM

If the Frame would be steel then the gun would be heavier. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

4:41:51 PM

it says about the Frame: hammer forged ordnance grade alloy. Whatever that means.

Fran 4:42:03 PM

I do apologize for the inconvenience

Fran 4:42:09 PM

It's alloy

4:42:51 PM

yes. I know. But is it aluminum alloy or steel? A magnet does not stick to it.

Fran 4:43:23 PM

Alloy

Fran 4:43:26 PM

The slide is steel

4:44:34 PM

What Kind of alloy? If it's aluminum then has it steel inserts to make it stronger?

Fran 4:46:26 PM

Alloy aluminum

4:47:42 PM

Are there inserts for the controls like spent case ejector, etc. I can not see theese parts to be of aluminum

4:51:09 PM

sir are you still there?

Fran 4:52:15 PM

Parts are metal injections

4:52:43 PM

and the Barrel? Which material is it from?

Fran 4:54:08 PM

Forge stainless steel

4:55:03 PM

What? The Barrel is real stainless steel? I thought it was just stainless plated.

4:55:37 PM

A magnet sticks to the Barrel as well.

Fran 5:05:32 PM

yes

5:06:12 PM

if it is real stainless steel (the Barrel) then a magnet will not stick right?

Fran 5:09:26 PM

It should

5:10:38 PM

Someone told me the slide is real stainless steel and the Barrel is stainless plated carbon steel. Which one is now right?

Fran 5:13:34 PM

Real stainless

5:14:01 PM

which one. The slide or the Barrel?

Fran 5:14:10 PM

The barrel

Fran 5:14:19 PM

The slide is carbon steel

5:14:34 PM

Ok. Thank you very much

Fran 5:15:17 PM

You're welcome. Is there anything else you will like me to assist you with today?

Fran 5:18:00 PM

Are you still here?

5:18:22 PM

no thanks.

Fran 5:18:28 PM

You're welcome. It was a pleasure assisting you here today. Have a great day!

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; April 16, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old April 16, 2017, 11:52 AM   #25
mete

Some types of stainless steel are magnetic but some are not !! Steel of any kind is heavier than aluminum !
Acciaio inossidabile is Italian for stainless steel. It's shortened to INOX in Italian and some other languages. Germans can't speak Italian so they say RUST-FREI.
Sadly we have people who by intent or lack of knowing, mix things up calling an item titanium but it's actually aluminum made to look like titanium.
Yes stainless steel can rust under certain circumstances .

Tags
beretta 92fs , inox