The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 3, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
chuckscap

Springfield TRP

What do you guys think about the TRP for a carry gun? I'm looking for a full size 1911 for a carry gun. I've been carrying my V16 Longslide, but am looking for something a tad smaller. Also I ordered a really nice holster from Horseshoe so I need something to put in it ...

Old June 3, 2013, 09:48 PM   #2
TacticalDefense1911

Solid gun all things considered. Don't like the glued in ejector...it about forces you to send the gun to the factory if something happens to it. Not sure if they all have this but mine did. For TRP money you can get a Dan Wesson. I've had a TRP and a couple of DW's and the DW's were a better built gun. All ran fine and were very accurate but the DW was just a more polished gun.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I own a TRP. Excellent shooting gun and mine is totally reliable. My buddy bought one after shooting mine and he too thinks the gun is fantastic as well.

Really nothing bad to say about the TRP, but if I had to, the FLGR is a solution in search of a problem. I replaced mine for under $20 with an Ed Brown GI Rod and plug. Otherwise, I have no complaints and it would make an excellent carry gun if you prefer to carry a full sized gun.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:31 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

one small (and very sharp) point

IMO, the TRP needs a dehorn before wearing.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:58 AM   #5
kutz

Love my TRP!
Old August 20, 2013, 09:37 PM   #6
billygun

Do they still make a TRP?

A little off the thread, but I got the new catalog and I did not see the TRP in it. Are they obsolete? Great gun. Accurate. Can't believe the ejector is glued (??) in, though.

BD
Old August 21, 2013, 04:25 AM   #7
thedudeabides

It's very heavy and has lots of pointy and sharp edges.

It'd be fine for open carry, as it was designed, but not CCW. I'd prefer to CCW a dehorned CCO with LWT frame.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Uncle Malice

I love my TRP. I don't carry it too often, but I have carried it several times. It carries quite well IWB in a Galco KingTuk. I have also open carried it OWB in a SERPA.

Great gun, but I usually carry Glock or M&P.

(Yes, it's still made: http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?ma..._4191340829622 )

Last edited by Uncle Malice; August 21, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:40 AM   #9
psyfly

Question for the TRP aficianados:

What makes the TRP worth two-and-a-half times as much as a mil spec?

I've owned a lot of 1911s over the years and now have SA, Colt, and Para-Ordnance in both .45 and 10mm and, while I think I understand the difference between a stock Colt gov't model and a Les Baer, or even a DW, I'm still unclear on the difference in $ between two iterations of the same gun.

Best,

Will
Old August 21, 2013, 11:49 AM   #10
JohnO

A glued in ejector. Really?
Old August 21, 2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Uncle Malice

Quote:
What makes the TRP worth two-and-a-half times as much as a mil spec?
The TRP is made in the US and hand fitted whereas the mil spec is run off a machine and pieced together in Brazil. The TRP has much tighter tolerances and quality control.
Old August 21, 2013, 12:53 PM   #12
CPO15

I believe they've used glued ejectors for quite a while. They'll pin it if you have a problem, perhaps even if you return the gun for another problem. The SA forums don't mention it to any significant degree and SA must not have a large number of returns or they would have returned to pinning them in. Plus, they use a really good glue.

I haven't had a problem with my two guns, but it does kinda irk me.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:15 PM   #13
BigJimP

If you have a good holster ...carrying a full sized 1911 is no big deal IWB. I carry a 5" Wilson CQB -- and weight is really irrelevent in a good holster.

The TRP is a solid gun / a buddy shoots and has carried one for several years...no issues. I don't know anything about them alledgedly having a glued ejector...
Old August 21, 2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
The TRP is made in the US and hand fitted whereas the mil spec is run off a machine and pieced together in Brazil. The TRP has much tighter tolerances and quality control.
Actually the TRP is assembled and fitted in the USA. The frame and slide are made in Brazil.

That being said, they are very well made guns, reliable and damn accurate.
Old August 21, 2013, 06:56 PM   #15
WVsig

Quote:
Actually the TRP is assembled and fitted in the USA. The frame and slide are made in Brazil.

That being said, they are very well made guns, reliable and damn accurate.
Believe the marketing... they do just enough of the assembly here to "claim" assembled in the USA.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:28 PM   #16
scottl

Quote:
The TRP is made in the US and hand fitted whereas the mil spec is run off a machine and pieced together in Brazil
Reports on 1911 forum is that the Mil Spec's bought lately have NM serialized meaning US assembled
Old August 21, 2013, 07:34 PM   #17
WVsig

Do you really think it matters on a production gun?
Old August 21, 2013, 09:48 PM   #18
HKFan9

For all practical purposes I will shoot the same with a TRP and a Wilson or whatever else. The mechanical accuracy on all of them are generally more accurate then the shooters.

I know why the Wilson's are more, but really people griping on a TRP having sharp edges? Mines all nice and smooth? Shoots just as good as my STI and other brands that cost twice as much, no complains here.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:03 PM   #19
billygun

luv the TRP

I bought my TRP for resale because I was broke. Bought it for $650 and could not wait to sell it for $1650. Easy money. I decided to shoot it before I sold it. That being said, I am a connoisseur of Colt early/mid 1911, 1911A1, Gold Cup, and Series 70s at the latest, there is no way I like this new stuff. And, dang nab it! This gun shoots so accurate, tight, and is so well balanced. Never, sold it. The guy who offered me the money is so ******. So is it worth the extra money, heck yes.
There is only one negative IMHO. A allen wrench is needed to disassemble. Not Cool. Yes, you can change it, I'm to lazy, though.
Some think the front grip checkering is to sharp. My thought, Cowboy Up!
Used it to qualify for my CHL. But, I don't carry it, seems a bit big and sharp.
My advice get one, if you don't like it sell it.

I still don't know why is is not in the current SA catalog?

Also, I'm tempted to dig it out to see the "glue".

BG
Old August 22, 2013, 06:27 AM   #20
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
There is only one negative IMHO. A allen wrench is needed to disassemble. Not Cool. Yes, you can change it, I'm to lazy, though.
You can't be that lazy.... For $20 to $30 you can replace the FLGR with a GI rod and plug. It will drop in with no fitting required. Takes like 30 seconds to do and you can kiss that stupid Allen wrench goodbye.

If you are of the lazy sort, just do it the next time you clean the gun....
Old August 22, 2013, 11:05 AM   #21
BigJimP

Personally, I like the full length guide rods in my 1911's ....

I understand the controversy ...about the takedown, etc...but a full length guide rod is no reason to not carry that weapon ( there may be other reasons - ---)...but not that...

My 5" Wilson CQB in .45 acp is my primary carry gun - and it has a full length guide rod - and a shok buff ( it came that way out of the Wilson Factory brand new ) - and its never failed...( gun is about 9 yrs old now / about 25,000 rds thru it with no issues at all )
Old August 22, 2013, 06:25 PM   #22
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I understand the controversy ...about the takedown, etc...but a full length guide rod is no reason to not carry that weapon ( there may be other reasons - ---)...but not that...
Big Jim is right. Like or hate the FlGR, they don't make a gun any more or less reliable unto themselves.