The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 11, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Captains1911

G19 Gen4 - Trigger Creep

I picked a G19 Gen4 today. I am curious about the trigger, as it has more creep than compared to my Gen3 G19 and G23, which both break fairly crisp after the initial take up, and after reset. The Gen4 has noticeably more travel after the take up but before it breaks.

Is this typical off Gen4s? The store owner didn't have any other Gen4s for me to compare to. I'm not worried about it, it actually feels similar to my XDs which I've become quite accustomed to, I'm just curious.
Old April 12, 2014, 01:32 PM   #2
NacsMXer

Yes it would be typical due to the "dot" connector used in the Gen 4's. Its angle/pull weight is right in between the standard Gen 3 connector and the lighter 3.5 lb connector. The angle of the connector yields a slightly lighter pull weight, but give more of a rolling break feel. This is especially true of the 3.5 lb connectors. The dot connector will feel slightly less crisp than the standard Gen 3 connector, with a slightly longer reset.
Old April 12, 2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Captains1911

Thanks for the clarification. So can a Gen3 connector be installed in a Gen4, or is there another compatible connector that will provide a similar feel to the Gen3?
Old April 12, 2014, 08:36 PM   #4
jfrey

You can use the same connector in the Gen3 and Gen4 guns. The Gen4 have a slightly different trigger bar and I don't think you will ever get as good a trigger pull out of the Gen4 as the Gen3, at least I never have.
Old April 12, 2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Captains1911

That's ashame, because so far I like all the other differences better.
Old April 12, 2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Uncle Malice

I actually find the Gen 4 to be more crisp than the gen3.

The design is actually opposite of the way NacsMXer explained. The angle of the disconnector on the gen4 is slightly sharper(about 5 degrees) than that of the gen3. This means that assuming they have the same disconnector installed, the gen4 should be slightly heavier but also feel more crisp in the break.

Having owned some 15 Glocks over the past 7 years or so, I can tell you that my preferred trigger setup on Glock is as follows:

- Lightning Strike titanium firing pin block(REALLY smooths out take up)
- Ghost TACTICAL or PATROL (5lb) disconnector models. (TACTICAL has the over travel stop and needs to be fitted. PATROL is drop-in.
- Polish all connecting surfaces
- Optional(usaully desirable): Wolff 6lb Competition trigger spring. I say this is optional because just depending on tolerance stacking, the Wolff spring may affect the trigger fully resetting forward. This is an obvious issue upon installation. If it works in the gun(most cases) it's good to go. If it doesn't, just swap the factory spring back in.

That's my recommendation. Of course, it's a Glock and you have hundreds of trigger options available. You can surely find one that you are happy with. If you prefer a little heavier with a crisp pull to lighter with a mushy pull, you want to go with at least the 5lb disconnectors. Even the Glock "+" disconnector when combined with the Wolff 6lb spring feels really good.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Captains1911

The trigger on the Gen4 I just picked up certainly breaks LESS crisp than any Gen3 I have ever shot, and I've shot quite a few Gen3s. Interesting that your experience is opposite, perhaps we are talking about two different things.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Uncle Malice

We aren't. The trigger housing in the Gen4 is redesigned, changing the angle of the disconnector on the Gen 4 slightly. On average, the gen4 will be a little heavier and a little more crisp.

Of course tolerances could build up in your particular gun and make things feel a little different. I would suggest trying the replacement disconnector and add the titanium striker block.