The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 4, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
BPRenegade

Any Idea's Gentleman?

I've done nothing but shoot my 50cal TC hawkin-
I've never really been bothered by the "ton of crap" i've carried to feed it. BUT, I am in search of a better way carry a few ready to go loads for the shirt pocket. I often times take it on trips out to the well house, and to check fence, but only have the options of carrying my whole bag or having just 1 lonely round.
Now I've seen those clear plastic tubes for inline's, but I don't know how water tight they are, plus, I shoot conicals.
I'm sure you guys have got to have some kinda ideas there-

As always, thank you all for your thoughts
Old December 4, 2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Pahoo

Lots of options available. ...

There are a variety of loaders out there and just as an example, here is a very basic one, that should work with your conicals. In my hunting pack, I carry six of these, all loaded and ready to go. In additions, I carry a flask and enough components to load and additional six. If this isn't enough, I need to go back home or hang it up. ....

https://secure.tcarms.com/store/-and...t-no-7027.html

Be Safe !!!
Old December 4, 2012, 09:08 PM   #3
BPRenegade

lube....

I use TC bore butter (with outstanding results) to lube my cast bullets on the spot.
Is there any way i could use anything that can carry lubed bullets without any hassle? or does anyone have any idea's on how to do so in a siple manor?
i have carried lube around in an old chew can in the past, but that can be a little messy.

Last edited by BPRenegade; December 4, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:13 AM   #4
shortwave

The quick(speed) loaders Pahoo suggested work very well and can be used with pre-lubed conicals as well.

Also, if you need to carry extra lube, a plastic 35mm film canister can be used to put it in.

Last edited by shortwave; December 5, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
arcticap

Pill containers can work in place of a store bought speed loader.
There's pill containers from over the counter tablets, or prescription pill containers.
They come in many different sizes.
Some plastic wrap can be stuffed into a container to keep the lubed conical[s] from rattling around.
Each powder charge needs its own container. Unless you want to wrap each charge into the corner of a plastic bag or paper packet that can be ripped open or unfolded when needed, and then carry more than one charge per container.
By wrapping up the powder charges, 2-3 charges and 2-3 conicals may even fit into one container of a still manageable size.
You just need to find the right size container[s] to meet your needs.
A small belt pouch or a little leather dangle bag or pouch will hold containers or stuff them into a pocket if possible.

Last edited by arcticap; December 5, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:52 AM   #6
freedom475

A black powder belt bag may be something to look at too. This is mine that I use for my Cap & Ball revolver bag. I is not very big, but will still carry enough suplies. Could even throw in a few staples for your fencing jobs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2284.JPG (143.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2286.JPG (150.1 KB, 13 views)

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."

Last edited by freedom475; December 5, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

A Day Horn w/grain measurer installed on its pour spout. A few caps in the rifles patch box. "If your strong like bull" no need for a short starter then.
At a time in my younger days when I was exposed to shooting bullets or conicals as some call them. I carried my conicals around in a aluminum cigar storage tube. (after I smoked the cigar of course.) All nicely stacked on top of each other and ready for action. I can even to this day tell you the name of the cigar. La Corona Tubos. >It was that good.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Doyle

You could always switch to an inline and then get to use those nice handy load containers.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
robhof

robhof

Another vote for the style of load carrier Pahoo showed. I have 6 similiar that I got with a grab bag of b/p supplies on Ebay awhile ago and with the powder loaded in one end after placing the bullet nose forward in the other, you pour the powder and place the holder with the back of the bullet on the end of the barrel and ram the short starter through the holder to start it. Works great at the range for 6 shots, enough to check the sights for hunting season and plenty of spare rounds for actual hunting.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:48 PM   #10
DD4lifeusmc

portable loads

You can buy the commercial loaders, they are pretty much waterproof unless you go swimming.
You can go to craft stores and buy plastic bead tubes with lids.
Or stop at the bank and get penny or nickel rollers load with powder and tape shut.
Or do what some guys like me do. roll paper cartridges.
Tie the ball or bullet inside or separate. Carry these in a tube if need be or a small plastic box.
There's several websites on rollong cartridges or you can pm me and I will explain it.
Another option for close in work while doing your rounds carry a revolver. If you load it with paper cartridges you can leave it loaded almost indefinitely. If you can resist the urge to just shoot it!
Have fun shooting