The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 14, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Mags

shooting your firearms in Maine

I have a cabin in Maine and own 3 acres of land. I have neighbors on both sides me but none behind me. can i legaly target practice in my back yard? is there a law about dischargeing a firearm with-in so many feet from a residence? I looked but couldnt find anything.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2
wally626

I know in VA firing of weapons on private land is generally regulated by Cities and County governments. There may be some general state laws about how close to building you can fire weapons that sort of things.

The link to State Law search is http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/search.asp

It does not work for me, might be down temporarily. I would go on your County or City site first. 3-arces is Kinda small for a lot of shooting, not that far from the neighbors, but occasional shooting might be OK. I can legally shoot in my back yard, but the neighbors are way to close, for that action to be neighborly. My Father-in-law has 10 acres and we occasionally will shoot clays and target practice at his place, wish it was closer than 700 miles though.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:33 PM   #3
NavyLT

It would definitely be dependent upon the municipality you were in. What city or county limits you are in would, be more than likely be the limiting ordinances.
Old January 15, 2010, 05:29 AM   #4
cars

The law is 100 yds from a dwelling unless you have permission from the owner. You don't say what town your cabin is in so I'd recommend that you check at the town office. Might not hurt to give the neighbors a heads up as well. Things like that are a lot more accepted north of the volvo line.

cars
Old January 15, 2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Mags

Thanks, thats very helpful. there is a marsh behind my cabin and thats the direction I would shoot it, so the safty factor is just fine. I have shot my .22 there a few times. But i just bought an Ar15. I know thats going to be quite loud so i just wanted to make sure i didnt create any problems for myself.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
there is a marsh behind my cabin and thats the direction I would shoot it, so the safty factor is just fine.
It sounds like you are depending on the marsh rather than a berm to stop those bullets. If that is indeed the case, what is to prevent a ricochet from hitting someone several hundred yards downrange? Such an event would likely result in a great deal of legal issues.

I recall, as a child, spending a lot of time in marshy areas and seeing adults gathering cattails and other plants fairly frequently.
Old January 15, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
langenc

Go ask and invite the neighbors to a shooting session. They may like to shoot and be wondering the same thing.
Old January 15, 2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Mags

The Marsh is no mans land. Unless you want to be neck high in mud. I always make sure nothing is out there.
Old January 15, 2010, 10:16 PM   #9
carguychris

delete
Old January 15, 2010, 10:18 PM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Things like that are a lot more accepted north of the volvo line.
The Volvo line? What do Swedish cars have to do with it? Is this some Maine thing?
Old January 16, 2010, 06:45 AM   #11
cars

The Volvo line is an imaginary line between the more liberal big government nanny state mindset of the higher population density in the southern part of the state, and the more rural traditionally Independant Mainer. The stereotype is of the middle-aged ponytail wearing college professor or the affluent Massachusets transplant, The Volvo's and Saabs seem to be some sort of status symbol to these groups, like a secret handshake. Its kind of a joke, but not really, there IS two Maines.

Disclaimer: To anyone reading this from southern Maine, I understand that not ALL from Augusta south are like that

cars

LOL just googled two Maines, its all right there

Last edited by cars; January 16, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:27 AM   #12
kilimanjaro

Three acres is not the wide open spaces, and a marsh is water. Rule 1 is to not shoot over or at a body of water, due to ricochet concerns. I'd find a safer place to shoot with a lot more distance to the next house and a good backstop.

Are you certain there is no one behind your property? That AR-15 has a one mile or more range. Go walk straight back one or two miles and see if there are any trails, roads, whatever, then think about how you are going to clear that entire downrange area each time you want to shoot off the back porch.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Mello2u

As kilimanjaro cautions, shooting over a marsh is not a safe practice.
" Frederic Bastiat