The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 25, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
platform

[Q] inexpensive conversion to 7.62x25 (tokarev)

I have thought that at least several companies
are working on
some sort of conversion system to allow to shoot
7.62x25
from Bereta, 1911 or Glock 20

does anybody know if such thing happen
(I have been of out of the g-news for 1.5 years now)

CZ-52s are Ok -- but cannot run courses with them (as they are practically impossible to tactical reload on the course)
Old July 25, 2009, 11:59 PM   #2
kozak6

I really don't see it happening.

The 7.62x25 is a relatively long cartridge. It's significantly longer than most semiautomatic pistol cartridges. It's even just a bit longer than a 10mm cartridge.

It won't fit into most pistol magazines, and hence not into most pistol frames either. Any sort of conversion would require the services of a very talented and very expensive gunsmith, if it were even safe or possible.
Old July 26, 2009, 12:15 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Had the same thought awhile back and was stymied by the length of the cartridge. You could probably reload them to a shorter OAL so they'd fit into a typical 10mm magazine but you'd have to be really careful about pressure issues with hotter loads and you'd defeat the main point of 7.62x25 which is cheap, mostly non-reloadable surplus ammo.

It might be possible to convert a revolver in .30 carbine or .32-20 to 7.62x25 with a new cylinder but don't quote me--that possibility just occurred to me and I haven't researched it.

A rebarrel in a .30 carbine semi-auto might work. But offhand I can only think of one .30 carbine semi-auto pistol.
Old July 26, 2009, 01:24 PM   #4
HorseSoldier

+1 (+2, technically, I suppose) -- 7.62x25 is too long for conversion of any major, current production pistol models (the FN 5-7 may be an exception, but I think that's a non-starter for other reasons). There have been a bunch of threads on various gun boards about people thinking about doing something like a G20 conversion, and the eventual answer is always that it isn't really feasible.

Another line of thinking I've seen discussed is what about the possibility of getting some manufacturer to design a modern 7.62x25 pistol, but the comments from industry insiders has been that no company has seen the market as big enough or valuable enough to invest the start up costs on the project.
Old July 26, 2009, 08:25 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is worth noting that during the Vietnam war, gunsmiths for the Viet Cong converted captured U.S. M1911A1 pistols to use the 7.62x25. They had to ream out the magazine well and make new magazines, as well as making or altering barrels and modifying the extractor, but the guns worked.

Still, in my opinion, not something someone would do for amusement.

Jim
Old July 26, 2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Erik Prins

it would probably be simpler to modify a cz 52 to make it easier to reload quickly

Tags
7.62x25 , conversion , cz52