The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Managing Gun Impulse-Shopping Syndrome

Hi Gun Collectors:

Have you ever visited your local gun store, just to browse around, and ended up buying a gun out of pure impulse? The price was too good to pass, right? Worst yet... you bought two guns because they were both on sale and you could not make up your mind about which one was best. Besides, both prices were amazingly low. Remember? Can you relate to this syndrome?

Well, I decided to start this thread to help current and future gun owners make educated gun purchases, manage their gun hobby budgets and reduce money losses related to impulse purchases.

Savvy gun buyers research gun reviews, test fire rented guns for grip comfort, accuracy and reliability, and consider ammo availability and cost of ownership (in terms of regular shooting practice and maintenance routines).

One way to address this issue is to place guns on lay-away. This allows buyers to lock the selling price while they conduct research on the gun. Canceling the transaction or transferring the deposit to other gun purchase is usually allowed by the gun store owner, making it possible for the buyer to reflect on the pros and cons of the deal.

Please share your thoughts...
Old October 22, 2013, 01:20 PM   #2
glenncal1

I went to sell a guy a shotgun (which in Colorado now you have to do through a FFL) and while looking in the case spied this little beauty for under $500, March 2013 date of the fired shell, included box and all docs:

Yes it has the dreaded lock, but for a very, very lightly used 617 10 shot under $500 I didn't care. Took me about 3 minutes to decide to buy it so I guess I am not a good candidate to avoid impulse shopping.

Many K and N Frames
Old October 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Robk

Firearms have been my hobby for over 20 years. Most of the time I can tell if something is a deal or just move along item. We live and breathe our hobby. Days and nights of forums and auctions of various types. Most here are very knowledgeable on the costs of our hobby, so if something does pop up, we are versed enough to know if it is worth it. But than again, price sometimes doen't matter. Just spent a bit and a half to get my latest. Just started to be imported in the US. Actually saw the video and had to have it. It took me a couple of weeks, but for me,once I want something, I want it! That to me is impulse buying. As for the regular impulse buying, you bet! This won't be a fun hobby if you didn't ever now and than.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Ibmikey

Layaway in order to make funds available over a period of time is one thing but using the medium because of indecision on your part or to later change your mind stinks. The dealer must take the merchandise out of the case thus potentially loosing a good sale so if burned once he may just consider you as "persona non grata" in the future. Perhaps one should instead practice self restraint buying firearms and in all other aspects of life?
Old October 22, 2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

I get almost anything I want in due time with layaway!

Things I actually want aren't much over $1,000 anyways. Most are actually under that price range. That's what makes this hobby so damn interesting.

I've said before I have a Ying and Yang when it comes to guns. My self defense side loves the really boring and basic guns, while my gun enthusiast side loves things I would never carry.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:46 PM   #6
chrisintexas

Constantine can you explain layaway method of buying in simple words. honestly I have no idea how it works. Thanks
Old October 22, 2013, 02:47 PM   #7
JHansenAK47

Quote:
Layaway in order to make funds available over a period of time is one thing but using the medium because of indecision on your part or to later change your mind stinks. The dealer must take the merchandise out of the case thus potentially loosing a good sale so if burned once he may just consider you as "persona non grata" in the future. Perhaps one should instead practice self restraint buying firearms and in all other aspects of life?
Another annoying facet of that are guns on consignment. People bring in guns and have a dealer sell them which may include being subject to layaway. Having a fence sitter tie up their item off the shelf being wishy washy affects an even wider circle of people.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:52 PM   #8
lamarw

Only had it happen to me once. I went in to pick-up a new pistol I had already bought. There on the rack was an old used H&R Model 98 Deluxe .410 single shot for forty bucks. It was a little rough but with good bones. It looks much better after some TLC.
Old October 22, 2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Bob Wright

Constantine said:
Quote:
I've said before I have a Ying and Yang when it comes to guns.
They are now working at a gunshop in Memphis.

Bob Wright
Old October 22, 2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Bob Wright

As to buying guns. I don't agonize over the purchase. I know what guns I like, and what I may want to add to my battery. Often times, when you see one in the case, it may well not be there when you make up your mind to buy it.

If the price is right, so what if the gun doesn't function flawlessly? A little tinkering here, smoothing up there, replace a part or two, some Hoppe's No. 9 and a little oiling, and you've got one fine shooting iron.

Some time back, I answered an ad in the Sunday paper, in which a man was offering a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. He had two, a 4 5/8" and a 6 1/2", both had the dreaded Ruger safety conversion. Asking $200 for either one. I bought both. One is now my daily carry gun, in .44 Special, the other still a .357 Magnum, but with the transfer bar removed, new grips, and a steel grip frame.

Never look back at gun purchases. Buy, or walk away and forget it.

Bob Wright
Old October 22, 2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Bob Wright

As to lay-away, most stores add a fee for that. And, if not bought as promised, will charge a return-to-stock fee.

Lay-away is your implied intent to purchase an item, with the agreement you will make partial payments until the price is met. To do otherwise is sort of fradulent, legal or not.

Bob Wright
Old October 22, 2013, 05:51 PM   #12
YankeeIronSights

I agree 100% with the notion that buyers should never abuse the benefit of a lay-away plan.

Nevertheless, savvy gun store administrators apply safety measures to discourage buyers from misusing the lay-away service by requiring cancellation fees. Cabela's has this rule in place and it works. Sales clerks can also minimize lay-away abuse by providing solid sales advice and support.

On the other hand, allowing clients to transfer lay-away deposits to a second gun is still good business for the gun store because it ensures an eventual final sale. Of course, small gun shop operators may not have the cash flow to extend this level of service. These are factors that become part of the cost of doing business. A friend once told me: "if you cannot compete with sharks, don't get in the water.."

As a business person, my message to small gun shop owners is: Don't offer lay-away service to customers without requiring a cancellation fee. Waive the fee for valued customers. Never deny a lay-away !!!

New buyers should understand that developing a good business relationship with sales representatives from local gun stores is essential for future gun enthusiasts/collectors. This client/vendor relationship must be sealed by consistent purchases that translate to win/win outcomes for all parties. Many collectors learn about guns by trial and error. Limit the errors by avoiding impulse purchases. If self control is an issue, be ready to pay extra fees or risk making bad purchases...

Now, please keep sharing your thoughts.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:04 PM   #13
surveyor

more on older used items than new..

not much on current production models,

the used ones, that are no longer in production, and that you don't see often, if they appeal to me, well that's another story.. those are tough..

I had'nt planned on the last one...
a thumb trigger winchester model 99 single shot rifle in 22 short, long, and extra long..

Last edited by surveyor; October 22, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:09 PM   #14
gaseousclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Perhaps one should instead practice self restraint buying firearms and in all other aspects of life?
Agreed. I've come across many guns I wanted to buy on impulse, but having a baby, in addition to other financial responsibilities, kinda throws a monkey wrench into things.

I live by a hard and fast rule when it comes to making expensive purchases, if I have the money to buy something then I'll get it, so long as my bills and my family are taken care of first. If I don't have the money I don't buy it and I save my money until I can. No layaway, no loans, period. My wife and I do have a decent amount stashed away in savings so I guess I don't feel like buying guns is high on my list of priorities
Old October 22, 2013, 09:42 PM   #15
TennJed

I would never ask a dealer to transfer my layaway deposit. It is in very bad taste. Actually I would be surprised if any allowed it. Once you put down that deposit you are making an agreement to buy that gun.

How would you feel if the dealer sold it to someone else while you had it in layaway? Asking to transfer is just as bad.
Old October 23, 2013, 12:44 AM   #16
JHansenAK47

Quote:
I would never ask a dealer to transfer my layaway deposit. It is in very bad taste. Actually I would be surprised if any allowed it. Once you put down that deposit you are making an agreement to buy that gun.
Changing or even canceling a layaway and getting a full refund isn't unreasonable. I've changed and canceled them before. What is unreasonable is wasting everyones time because you want to be wishy washy and think you might want something. When I do layaways it is with a sincere full intention of buying the item, but crap happens and thats just life. Good customer relations makes repeat customers.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Wyoredman

I have never used lay-away!

Maybe that is why I am always broke!

I seem to spend my gun money faster than the manufacturers can make the guns!
Old October 24, 2013, 02:06 PM   #18
YankeeIronSights

Wyoredman... Your comment made my day... I had a good laugh because most gun sports enthusiasts get to feel that way at some point. I certainly have felt the same way many times. This hobby is a lot of fun !!!
Old October 24, 2013, 05:52 PM   #19
curt.45

wait! .................................

I should Managing Gun Impulse buying .................................

SAY IT AINT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old October 24, 2013, 06:29 PM   #20
kmglock

I find that the best way to prevent impulse buys is to rent first. I recently thought I really wanted a Walther PPQ. I read all the great reviews and watched many youtube videos. I already have several Glocks which are similar pistols, but even Hickok45 was raving about the amazing PPQ trigger, so I really thought I needed one.

To make a long story short, I rented a PPQ and decided not to buy it. It's a great gun, but just not that much better than my Glock 19. I'd rather spend the $600 on something different.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:00 AM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmglock View Post
I find that the best way to prevent impulse buys is to rent first. I recently thought I really wanted a Walther PPQ. I read all the great reviews and watched many youtube videos. I already have several Glocks which are similar pistols, but even Hickok45 was raving about the amazing PPQ trigger, so I really thought I needed one.

To make a long story short, I rented a PPQ and decided not to buy it. It's a great gun, but just not that much better than my Glock 19. I'd rather spend the $600 on something different.
That's funny. I'm proud of you. I on the other hand did something else. Similar. But not that similar, unfortunately. I carry a Glock 19 as well. It's my nightstand gun too. I also wanted to see what on God's green earth the fuss was about with this "amazing Walther PPQ" (aka IMO a Hi-Point and an Hk's jiggy night of bumping uglies) so I bought one. Shot it. A week later gave it to one of my best friends who's a lefty who I thought needed to get his first handgun already and since times are tough for him, couldn't really buy one himself.

Didn't see what all the fuss was about. That was the last time I listened to Internet praises and I've stuck to my Glock 19.

It just whistled at me. Wow they have good eye sight...

Old October 25, 2013, 11:15 AM   #22
JerryM

Remember, "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 25, 2013, 11:59 AM   #23
Wyoredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
In my case ... "A fool never get to know his money, therefore their parting is less painfull!"
Old October 27, 2013, 11:58 AM   #24
berettaprofessor

Some of my best firearms were impulse buys:

Marlin 39A
Browning Hi-Power
CZ 75 Compact
Marlin 60
Beretta 92 Centurion
etc. etc.

Yeah, they were all used...but they were all great buys for the price.
Old October 27, 2013, 03:26 PM   #25
LockedBreech

It's kinda hard for me to be responsible with money. I'm about finished with law school and I made it through school without taking out any loans. So now I'm 25, about 6 months away from work, with no debt other than a few thousand in credit cards, no kids, and the long-term relationship fell apart last year so no female tugging at the wallet either. Even if I'm not smart with my money the consequences just aren't that terrible at this point in my life.

Which probably explains why I bought a brand new Italian Beretta 92FS, Speer Gold Dots, a holster, and a case for it....on credit....

Constantine, that's a sweet picture of your Glock, cool lighting. I love my iHome too