The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 21, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
tAKticool

Bushmaster ACR- Does Anyone have any info on the calibers/barrels/upgrades/"new" one?

Just curious here,

The Bushmaster ACR has been a secret crush of mine for a long time buit I mean, WTFunkyColeMedina,, it has been out for what over two years now, and really nothing has been released for it - to my knowledge, like, not a single thing!

There was supposed to be a few stock options, hand guard options, those would have been the easiest thing IMHO. Instead there is the normal "folding" stock and the one I'd have to have as a NJ guy, the "basic" stock. I believe there is the MOE hand guard and the plastic "railed" hand guard that the "Enhanced model" has.

Am I wrong here or are they ALL the 16" barrel. 5.56m "carbine/rifles" that is that... no 18", I am not sure of the 14.5" or 10.5" barrels as I can't even do the SBR if I wanted but I'd at least bet others might want to, and certainly no caliber changes.

I read that the 6.8 SPC caliber conversion was supposed to be out right away cause it was supposed to be simple and a priority- a Remington caliber , wanted to gain popularity for of course the rifle but also the caliber for military picking it up and civilians than copying... and its supposed to be easy to convert with. Just a bolt and barrel and magazine maybe? ( i mean thats the ACR normal process but even on an AR-15 that was supposed to be it). Now I don't have a lot of interest in the 6.8 but I'd consider it...

I also heard 7.62x39mm was going to happen, I am NOT POSITIVE but I read something saying it would get a new lower as well, so you'd have a plastic AK pistol-gripped-lower and mag to snap on as part of the conversion . This REALLY interests me. IF the 7.62x39mm conversion was out I would be directly planning my getting one.

Basically I would be so interested in the ACR if I was getting a 16"' barreled' 5.56m carbine ,and I could immediately buy a say 7.62x39mm conversion kit (regardless, I dont know how it would be packaged, a new bolt, i'd assume a 16" barrel as well, and lower and mag?") ... and I also would want the SPR/DMR kit for it, supposedly an 18" 5.56 barrel and Magpul PRS Stock... now I would have a 16" carbine, 18" DMR, and a 16"? AK/7.62x39mm carbine... Now I CALL THAT an Adaptive Combat Rifle!!!! Especially if I can also buy a few extra hand guards for customization .

And lastly, there was a post a while back, maybe a year back, on The Firearm Blog, that there was supposedly a "new" ACR 2.0 coming out, (They made it seem like it was imminent) in which it was more of a piston AR-15 with lots of Magpul and adaptability, rather than whatever it is now... and it had a hard metal, AR-style lower, a removable AR-style pistol grip, and the awesome REMINGTON ACR looks. Who knows what happened to that?

OK If anyone has any info, please drop it. the Firearm Blog posted that Magpul could possibly have re-accuired the rights, if Bushmaster didn't sell enough. They speculated that if this would happen, Bushmaster would simply lower the price big time so they sold enough. (Well Bushmaster we're waiting!!!) they also noted Magpul got some 450 million like cash infusion, maybe they'd start making their own rifles/ Well magpul????
sometone drop some knowledge!
Old March 21, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
semi_problomatic

Your 7.62 "conversion" doesn't make sense... If you need a new upper and lower....what exactly are you converting and why isn't it a completely different rifle?
Old March 21, 2012, 11:01 PM   #3
tAKticool

ACRs are the opposite of an AR-15, the upper is "serialized" and is the FFL part.

However they are supposedly extremely-quick-changing and you just pop off the barrel and bolt carrier group (Which I believe, from seeing the pics/videos/etc. are connected) and put on the new one. In the 5.55 to/from 6.8 conversions you just put one it pull the other out thats it.

The lower is just a polymer part that connects to the main "drive shaft" if you will in the upper.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ushmaster-acr/

That article, if you use the browser search function and search for "lower", mentions the AK lower I was talking about. Incidentially the other hits for "Lower" mention the other Lower i described which will take a regular pistol grip , unlike the standard Bushmaster ACR lower which is a big piece of molded polymer plastic.

if you want to read something informative (I'm assuming you don't know much if anything about the ACR let alone the Magpul Masada), I would check out this on the Magpul Masada, which is where the ACR came from. If Bushmaster just massed produced the Magpul Masada it would probably be the hottest thing on the market 2 years running.

http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/masada_technote.pdf

Scroll down and you'll learn how it works and the AK lower.
Old March 22, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

The ACR is Remington's entry in the Improved Carbine trials which are just now starting to hit the end of Phase I. Unless Remington loses out at this phase, I wouldn't expect to see much development of the ACR for awhile.
Old March 22, 2012, 09:57 AM   #5
semi_problomatic

Ok, you need a new barrel, action group, lower.... So all you're keeping is the stripped upper...again, what are you "converting" don't see the benefit. I can see if all you need to do is change out barrel and bullets. Or just change out the barrel. But swapping out multiple components doesn't make much sense to me. Its more you have to spend/carry. If you bought the stuff for a conversion, and a stripped upper, whala a whole nother rifle.
Old March 22, 2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Technosavant

Quote:
Ok, you need a new barrel, action group, lower.... So all you're keeping is the stripped upper...again, what are you "converting" don't see the benefit.
Ditto. All of the hype about the "quick caliber change" for the ACR made no sense to me. OK, so you can swap out the barrel, BCG, and magazine, and be shooting 6.8 or whatever else in seconds. That's nothing the AR-15 can't do already. With the ACR, you swap those things out, and now it's time to re-zero the optic (the one mounted to the top rail). With the AR platform, you just leave the optic on the upper as you change them out.

The ACR looks like a neat rifle and one that would be quite fun to shoot, but I've never understood why they made that much about the changing of calibers- it's more cumbersome than the rifle the ACR is supposedly intended to replace.
Old August 24, 2012, 06:01 PM   #7
d-mag

not very savant, there 'technosavant'. First of all you do not have to take off your optic with an ACR, the upper stays the same. Secondly, even if you had a 7.62 change-out for a AR-15, you would STILL need to re-zero your optic for the change in caliber. Also lets see how long your 5.56 AR-15 lower holds up under 7.62. I have never seen or heard of a lower designed for 5.56 that can stand up to repeated heavy 7.62 usage under combat conditions
The whole POINT of modular rifles like the ACR or the FN SCAR are for the military (adaptive COMBAT rifle), not random gun nuts. I have in depth knowledge of both platforms as ive used the SCARS professionally and i own an ACR. While i agree its a annoyance with the SCAR, switching out the lower, barrel, bolt assembly and guide rod, there is still a purpose. With a few quick conversions all available from the same manufacturer (thus ensuring compatibility) you can change a micro 5.56 CQB platform into a long range sniper weapon. And on top of that, all your accessories mounted and secured to your rails can stay in place. With the 6.8 for the ACR, it requires even less parts and less work. While the 6.8 isnt as powerful or as wide-used as 7.62, the lower caliber allows that ACR frame to maintain integrity. someone needs to realize that the AR-15 is a decent but outdated platform and maybe look up the meaning of the word 'savant'.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-mag
not very savant, there 'technosavant'. First of all you do not have to take off your optic with an ACR, the upper stays the same. Secondly, even if you had a 7.62 change-out for a AR-15, you would STILL need to re-zero your optic for the change in caliber. Also lets see how long your 5.56 AR-15 lower holds up under 7.62. I have never seen or heard of a lower designed for 5.56 that can stand up to repeated heavy 7.62 usage under combat conditions
The whole POINT of modular rifles like the ACR or the FN SCAR are for the military (adaptive COMBAT rifle), not random gun nuts. I have in depth knowledge of both platforms as ive used the SCARS professionally and i own an ACR. While i agree its a annoyance with the SCAR, switching out the lower, barrel, bolt assembly and guide rod, there is still a purpose. With a few quick conversions all available from the same manufacturer (thus ensuring compatibility) you can change a micro 5.56 CQB platform into a long range sniper weapon. And on top of that, all your accessories mounted and secured to your rails can stay in place. With the 6.8 for the ACR, it requires even less parts and less work. While the 6.8 isnt as powerful or as wide-used as 7.62, the lower caliber allows that ACR frame to maintain integrity. someone needs to realize that the AR-15 is a decent but outdated platform and maybe look up the meaning of the word 'savant'.
If you plan to criticize someone, it is best not to start by typing a lot of nonsense and then claim professional experience you clearly lack.

Tags
bushmaster acr , magpul , masada