The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 13, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Rob3
Registration in progress

British snipers- one shot two kills

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...ers-story.html

Pretty cool story of British snipers in Afghanistan. On sniper shot two Taliban on a motorcycle through both their heads. Other shots were well over 1000 meters.
Old March 13, 2011, 09:15 PM   #2
ripnbst

Cool story, these guys talk about it like it was no big deal.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:17 PM   #3
grubbylabs

Cool story, nice to see the good guys chock one up. Well maybe two.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 13, 2011, 11:59 PM   #4
HorseSoldier

The real fascinating part is that in the UK -- as anti-gun a country as any out there -- the media is completely comfortable talking about (and celebrating, to an extent) their troops killing bad guys. Just doesn't look anything like what the US media would make of the same story.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Ignition Override

HorseSoldier:
Off the subject of just guns-if you guys don't mind-but my wife and I were walking up to Edinburgh's (Scotland) Old Town almost two years ago.

So many people were walking downhill towards us that I could tell that something important had just happened. I told my wife that we just missed a very unique event.

Their troops had arrived home from Iraq or Afghan., and the citizens were there in large numbers to welcome them on the single main street in that area, "The Royal Mile", just like during previous wars!
It must have been to the classic, dramatic sound of bagpipes etc, like you hear in WW2 movies.

Lots of our young soldiers seem to travel in groups of two, three or so, with civilian airport passengers almost oblivious and indifferent, whether they are returning to Asia, or to home, lost in the mobs of people in the terminals.

Wearing an unmistakeable civilian uniform, I would like to announce to people at the gates, "Get off your butts and at least wish them good luck, when you find a minute!", but can't make a scene.

I bought three young guys in uniform some Krystal burgers in Atlanta Airport a week ago.
They should not be allowed to pay for a drink over here. My son is a civilian, but is also 22, and maybe sympathy is easier.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 14, 2011 at 01:19 AM.