The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 2010, 11:27 AM   #1
srkavanagh6621

Opinions on wichester sx3

Hi all I was thinking about purchasing a SX3 but first wanted to know what everybody thought about it! I did use the search and found a few old threads but I would like to know what people think about it now that its been out for quite a while! I basically want to hear about reliability, I already know its light which I like. Also I think I will be getting a field version with the 26'' barrel how does it hold up in environment? I usually take really good care of my firearms but would like to know if its a hunk of junk or if you guys really like them! Thanks!
Old October 15, 2010, 10:38 AM   #2
minijeff

I have owned 2 - one was Field model, and one was composite.

Both were very well made, and functioned 100%.

The composite models have a greater degree of adjustability with different shims included, the Field model only had shims for length of pull.

I would absolutely recommend either.
Old October 15, 2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Couzin

In a weak moment - I traded an older model Browning Citori Lightning for a very lightly used Winchester SX3. I like the SX, wood is not bad although it is a little soft and probably will not survive duck environments, fit and finish is good overall, shoots light target load 2-3/4" and 3" game loads with no problem, has the lightest recoil I've ever felt on a semi-auto, and is alot lighter than my Citori. I have shot the SX3 at the skeet and the trap fields (I use a Browning XS usually) and no problem with swing or breaking the birds - but because of a knee issue and subsequent TKR - I have not been out bird hunting with it yet. I believe it will function just fine (although I will have to be picking up a lot of hulls). The only thing about it I don't care for is the clacking and mechanical noises it makes - I swear it is noisier than my old Remington 1100 (duck gun). I guess I just miss that old Browning.
Old October 15, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4
jmortimer

It is the fastest shooting, has low felt recoil, and is reliable. World record holder Patrick Flannigan (sp?) shoots his show SX3s hundreds of thousands of times and he will go two or three thousand rounds between cleaning. Reliability is not an issue.