The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 6, 2009, 11:06 PM   #1
roy reali

Oregon vs. Idaho

This fall I want to go bird hunting in either Oregon or Idaho. I am going to get one of those three day licenses. I only have the time and money for one of them. I live about the same distance from both states.

Which state do you think would offer the better bird hunting experience? I am talking about upland game.

Anyone have experience in both of these states? Which one did you enjoy more?
Old October 7, 2009, 01:27 PM   #2
hunter33

I live in oregon, never really thought of it as a good upland state. I know idaho has really good pheasant hunting though.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:42 AM   #3
wyobohunter

Don't know about Oregon but Idaho has at least 5 species of Grouse, a couple species of Quail, Chukar, Partridge, Turkey and Pheasant. If it were me I'd go for Idaho.
Old October 8, 2009, 06:26 AM   #4
roy reali

Land

How is Idaho for public land? How nice are they to out of state hunters? I realize that many places don't exactly put out the welcome matt for nonresidents, however, some places can be downright hostile. At least my license plates are not labeled "California".
Old October 8, 2009, 08:18 AM   #5
wyobohunter

Over 60% of Idaho is Federal (i.e. publc) land. I don't think you have to worry about fiding a place that you can hunt unmolested, I'd just do some internet scouting for good hunting areas in those public lands (Forest Service/BLM). Also, a phone call to a fish & game office and a chat with a game biologist will probably save you some serious time. Good luck!
Old October 8, 2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Scorch

Oregon is OK for birds, but my money is on Idaho. Having lived and hunted in both states, I would pick Idaho. Pheasant, forest grouse, quail, sharptail, chukar, you name it. Not that Oregon doesn't have those opportunities, just that Idaho has a lot more. South-central part of the state for pheasants, western for quail and chukar, southeast for sharptail and pheasant.
Old October 8, 2009, 12:31 PM   #7
hunter33

Dad said that on the farm in idaho people would come out state to hunt on there property, his father had no problem having people on his land.
Old October 8, 2009, 02:03 PM   #8
longranger

Some very good sage grouse hunting around Fairfield south toward Twin Falls.High Deserts have been spectacular this past spring and winter in most areas.It has been 10-12 years since I have seen in Idaho, Nevada/eastern,Utah,Wyoming,Montana and the Dakotas so green.I saw 5 prime dead coyotes along I -80 just in Nevada.All the deer antelope and elk and fat and shiney.Should be a banner year in most areas that hold birds of your choice.I have seen hen turkeys with their second hatch here locally.