The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 1, 2009, 08:58 PM   #1
troy_mclure

cap & ball revolver kit

im looking for an in-expensive cap & ball revolver kit to "build" to while away some time.

it likely wont be fired often.

anybody got any suggestions?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 1, 2009, 09:07 PM   #2
kirpi97

Define inexpensive and your skill level. There are lots of kits out there. Is there a caliber you would prefer? Once these folks know what you are looking for, you will get a lot of suggestions.

I prefer pistols to revolvers in kits because I enjoy wood working as opposed to bluing barrels. So I have purchased my revolvers from folks here. They have worked out all the kinks.

A Lyman Plains .54 cal kit will set one back about $200. Whereas, I have heard around here a lot of interest in the Dixie Gun Works - Spiller and Burr Revolver Kit. It sells for $195. This is why I ask for your price break.

But there are so many more qualified than I to suggest a kit, that I will leave it to them. But provide a little more info.

Last edited by kirpi97; January 1, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:41 PM   #3
arcticap

There's informative reviews for most of the Dixie revolver kits:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default...ath=22_162_194
Old January 2, 2009, 12:27 AM   #4
fastforty

I got a pair of Richland Arms 1859 New Model Remmie's in kit form from JC Penny about 30-35 years ago (couldn't pass them up, they were regular $89.00 but on sale for $49 ). They were completely machined, as in they could be assembled & fired straight out of the box. BUT, the grips were about 1/4" oversized & the brass frame (aside from the machined areas) was a very rough casting, looked like a dead turtle that had laid in the desert for 20 years. I had to start with a very coarse file, then medium, then fine files (keeping all of the surfaces flat & square edged) before I could move on through multiple grades of sandpaper on sanding blocks. After that came all of the grades of steel wool before being able to shine it all up with rouge. They turned out real nice (It kinda helped that I was in the Vocational Metal Shop class in my senior year of high school, the teacher didn't care if I worked on the frames in class, as long as they didn't have the barrels screwed on them & I wasn't trying to cast duplicates in the foundry ).

So, the state of finish that a kit comes in & how much of what kind of work you want to do may make a difference on the kit that you choose. My Remmies were already blued & that bluing is still good after all of these years.
Old January 2, 2009, 02:25 AM   #5
troy_mclure

caliber doesnt really matter. like i said its a busy work project.

my skill level is med/low, so im kinda looking for a cheaper kit. i dont want a expensive one that i do lousy on. if its cheap i can just give it away or toss it if i dont like the way it turned out.

under $150 would be great but ill go higher if i have to.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 4, 2009, 09:32 PM   #6
kirpi97

A few revolver kits:

http://possibleshop.com/kit-cap-ball.htm

1863 Pocket Remington (Brass) .31 cal $169
1858 Remington (Brass) .44 cal $199

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=a8bd2fa966cc7fb6cba6e524ab5b5188&keywords=revolver+kit&x=6&y=8

Navy Yank Revolver kit .44 $165

Here are some pistol kits:

http://www.possibleshop.com/pistol-kit.htm

Philly Derringer .45 cal $149
Crockett Pistol .32 cal $159

This is just a sample of what is available. I checked my local source, however, they do not have any revolver kits available right now.
Old January 5, 2009, 12:59 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
A Lyman Plains .54 cal kit will set one back about $200.
Who has them at that price? Much, much cheaper than I have seen anywhere.
Old January 5, 2009, 01:37 AM   #8
kirpi97

My local shop has them for $228 in kit form.

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodg...Cat1Name=Lyman

Working with them, I was able to get mine much cheaper last year. But this is the current price they advertise them for.
Old January 5, 2009, 02:38 AM   #9
arcticap

AFAIK MidSouth Shooter's Supply is one of the lowest priced Lyman dealers. The Lyman .50 Plains pistol is listed at $180.15.

.50 pistols:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...30%20%43%41%4C

.54 pistols:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...34%20%43%41%4C

Last edited by arcticap; January 5, 2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old January 5, 2009, 10:29 AM   #10
grymster2007

I never built a revolver, but I built a .50 caliber pistol back in the 70s and a .50 caliber Plains Pistol and a .45 caliber New Orleans Ace a couple years ago. It's a nice pastime if you like working with your hands. I never shot the N.O. Ace, but the Plains Pistol is a lot of fun. Might like to try a revolver kit and a rifle one day.