The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 18, 2006, 01:09 PM   #1
jrklaus

Thread Start Dates?

I was browsing and just saw the "Old Threads" thread. I searched FAQs, but didn't find an answer--may have asked the wrong question.

Can Forums be set so that the Start Date of a thread shows in the general information along with the title of the tread and the originator? That might stop some of the "resurrection" difficulties. Just a thought....

Thanks for running a great forum!
Old July 19, 2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Can Forums be set so that the Start Date of a thread shows in the general information ...
Not without a hack to the vbulletin software which we lease. Whenever you see a resurrected thread, the person first posting to the ancient thread had to consciously acknowledge that the thread was old and press an "I am aware that this is an old thread" type of button to continue with posting. Tyme installed that hack as it was felt necessary to try to prevent the type of thing you have observed.

Personally, I simply have made it a habit to look at the dates of posts when reading them or responding to them. Seems to work well, for me at least. (I also don't go scrounging around in the bottom of the archive barrel for a subject similar to the one I want to post about. But that's just me, I guess.)
Old July 20, 2006, 04:42 PM   #3
jrklaus

That answers the question. I guess I've never resurrected a thread that was very old, because I have never seen the notification you mentioned. Thanks!
Old July 27, 2006, 10:31 AM   #4
atlctyslkr

Gee, I wonder who this is directed at .......
Old July 27, 2006, 11:03 AM   #5
jrklaus

Not aimed at anyone. I'm relatively new to forums and didn't know if posting thread start dates was possible or not. I got my answer.