The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 8, 2000, 05:34 AM   #1
JNewell

The finish on the Remington 870 Express shotguns is . . . ? It isn't bluing and doesn't look like any kind of phosphating I've ever seen. Looks almost like bake-on crinkle enamel? Does anyone know what this is? Also, I'm curious how durable it is. Vang is selling 870 barrels choked and comp'ed for a price that translates into about $80 for the barrel, which seems like a great deal -- but they're all "Express" type barrels, and I'm unfamiliar with the finish.
Old May 8, 2000, 12:20 PM   #2
johnbt

I don't know what it is, but it is durable. I've mostly used mine for duck hunting since 1993 and only seen a little rust from condensation under the rib. And that was my fault for taking it into a warm shack on a 15 degree day. Otherwise, it has endured the bottom of the boat, ice-breaking wades through waist deep salt water, sleet, rain, snow, cedar brush on the blind and a dog(don't ask). The hardwood stock finish is painted on, durable, ugly and can be removed with either lacquer thinner or acetone(I can't remember which). The best thing I did was replace the original recoil pad - the spacer extends up into the pad and is just a hard plastic box taking up space. Sanded a Pachmayr to fit and now don't mind shooting those 2 oz. magnum turkey loads at the range just for the heck of it. John
Old May 8, 2000, 04:17 PM   #3
cjb

870 Express finish is...........BLUING!!!!
Thats right! They just bead blast all the metal parts, and then in the tank they go! No buffing, no polishing, no nothing! This is cheap, and with the Express wood or synthetic stocks...they are much cheaper than the shiny, high-gloss WINGMASTER or Premier series.
CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "
Old May 8, 2000, 08:52 PM   #4
Magoo1

Has Vang got a website?
Old May 9, 2000, 01:36 AM   #5
Bennett Richards

WWW.VANGCOMP.COM

I have a VangComped 870 Marine...

Love it.

Ben