The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2000, 08:29 AM   #1
Postman

I'm new to the world of shotguns and not certain exactly what I want. I would like to add to my home defense battery and I've narrowed my options down to an 18" 12 gauge with either a 2 3/4 or 3" chamber, extended magazine and fixed stocks.

I really like the Remington 870 but don't want to deal with the restrictions they built in to discourage the instalation of police features. I read the thread about defeating the mag extension dimples, but I wonder if the gun was ever used for defense what modifying it would do to my liability.

I understand both the Marine Magnum and the Police Magnum do not have the restrictive features built in. The local Sports Athority super store carries the Marine Magnum but I'm not crazy about having a big shiny silver gun. Does anyone know the availability of the Police Magnum?

I also love the Border Patrol model form Wilson's Scattergun Tech. My only concern again would be the liability if such a gun were used for defense.

All this brings me to the 35 year old High Standard 18" 12 gauge 2 3/4 in my parents basement. This gun I could have for free, but for reasons too complicated to go into here would be a tremendous hassle to aquire.

How does the High Standard measure up to the 870? Does anyone make aftermarket accesories for this gun? Is the High Standard worth ANY hassle to aquire?

Any answers or speculation about the possible liabilities mentioned above would also be appreciated.

I'm posting this over at Glock Talk too.

Old April 29, 2000, 06:26 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

In the 1960s High Standard models 8104, 8111 and 8113 one were one of the standard police issue shotguns for cruisers. This is basically an extended magazine tube FliteKing. There were a couple of variations in sights, bayonet adaptors etc.
As to using for HD use. Use what you're comfortable with, whether it's the High Standard, Remington , Mossberg, Ithaca, Browning or even a Krieghoff, go for it. Try out different shotguns and pick what feels best for you.
And whatever you end up with, practice with it.
Old April 30, 2000, 06:22 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

While my fondness for the 870 is known to all, IMO, ANY reliable shotgun of at least 2 rounds capacity is a defense weapon of great potential.If that HS qualifies as reliable, go for it if you wish.

Since you mention hassle, maybe the best alternative is to purchase a used Police 870 from whatever dealer gets the turnins and build the HD, close range weapon of your dreams, for a reasonable amount of money. If a Klutz(Excuse me, tool challenged techno dunce) like me can do it, it's really not hard.

Also,bells and whistles are nice, but a shotgun w/o them is still an awesome weapon. Instead of addons, buy ammo and range time. You'll have a much better idea of the capabilities and glitches of your shotgun and YOU after 500 rounds or so.