The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 8, 2012, 02:36 AM   #26
hangglider

@BN Real: Where I live it is well-known that 1) gangbangers hit homes in numbers; and 2) guns and assault rifles are out on the street and actively used. The Chattanooga PD recently up-armed to level the playing field by buying 30 AR's.

If a gang of potentially armed thugs break into my home and I probably have mere seconds to respond I'm grabbing the best weapon option available. I may be wrong, but given the widespread publicity of serious violent crime and murder in my area I doubt the use of an assault rifle in HD would be a liability compared to a ".40 or better" handgun (unless of course you take out innocent neighbors).

As the "box of truth tests" show, the issue of penetration versus defense effectiveness is a tricky one. My impression from these tests is that common large caliber handgun rounds and buckshot actually go through more secondary structures than a lower-power non-pointed 223 round which seems to lose it's velocity fairly quickly going through common home walls. My impression is that if I'm engaged in a firefight where the outcome is determined by how quickly I can get the most rounds off, whether or not I use an assault rifle is a question of semantics if the BG's are armed and in numbers. Either way, I'd rather be alive and take my chances in court than dead.

The gang activities and violent crimes are not hypothetical scenarios I've conjured up in my head to justify using this kind of weapon--it's a daily fact of life (and death) here. Chattanooga has a chronic epidemic of gangs and violent crime making it one of the most dangerous cities in America.

To steal a line from Tom Berringer: "what I know, is cause I live here."

Last edited by hangglider; February 8, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old February 8, 2012, 11:28 AM   #27
littlmak

What about the use of frangible ammo in urban settings for SD/HD? It's my understanding many, if not most police depts. are using or are switching to this ammo to avoid collateral damage. I personally use hollow point ammo in .357/.45/.380 but am thinking very seriously of switching. If the worst happens I don't want to be responsible for complicating the life of the nice girl who lives across the hall.
Old February 8, 2012, 12:37 PM   #28
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlmak
What about the use of frangible ammo in urban settings for SD/HD? It's my understanding many, if not most police depts. are using or are switching to this ammo...
[1] Frangible ammunition has a poor reputation for penetration, and it's doubtful that it would deliver adequate terminal performance for general use in self defense.

[2] I have no reason to believe that any police departments are switching to frangible ammunition for general duty use (although they would probably be using it for some training applications). Do you have any evidence?
Old February 8, 2012, 08:29 PM   #29
littlmak

Now that I think about it the source was probably a history channel program about new developments in ammo. Statements made on this program may or may not be true but they stuck in my mind.