The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2008, 09:30 AM   #1
under_dawg

Can I use 30-30 LFC for .308 Win

I picked up a .308 Win Lee Factory Crimp Die yesterday. I already have one for my 30-30. The bullet diameters are both .308, so I was wandering if they are the same die, just labeled differently to get you to buy one for each chambering. I haven't loaded any .308 yet, but will be doing so around Christmas.
Old November 8, 2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Sevens

Someone else will have a better answer, I'm sure... (I don't have any FCD dies)

But, doesn't the press ram push the bottom of the die to actuate the "crimping" process of the die? If that is the case, then you'd need to have the same case length for the ram to properly actuate the process in a different caliber.

Lee lists their .44 Mag dies as good for .44 Special, and their .357 dies for .38 Special and their 10mm dies as good for .40S&W, so I would imagine they'd tell you a FCD works for both .308 and .30/30 if it did.

But I can't say for sure...
Old November 8, 2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Loader9

The Lee crimp dies I have are made so that the neck is fully supported. If that holds true, the 30-30 dies will have a much longer neck and the 308 will never get to the crimp part of the die. You might be able to use a 308 die for 30-30 but you might also end up with swollen necks below the support area or shoulders that are pushed back.
Old November 8, 2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The other gentlemen are correct. The die design is matched to case and neck length. Lee is very big on promoting reloading economy, and they do, indeed, inform if the die can do more than one case. They also consider that a sales feature, when it is possible to do.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 8, 2008, 03:54 PM   #5
wncchester

Indeed, they are NOT interchangable.
Old November 8, 2008, 04:07 PM   #6
under_dawg

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad I went ahead and bought the .308 LFC die. I haven't bought the other dies yet. Sportsman's Warehouse won't carry any Lee dies except for LFCs. I'll order them from Midway soon...