The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 8, 2008, 01:03 AM   #51
Hawg

Quote:
Please ask him to visit this forum and post a photo of his scar in this thread.
He won't do that. He doesn't even like to talk about it. I saw it accidently once after I'd known him for several years and pressured him into telling me. The gun was a 12 gauge single barrel and all I know is the shot was bird shot. It took out half of his stomach, his whole left side is sunk in and a mass of scar tissue.
Old June 8, 2008, 05:52 AM   #52
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The point being that this guy shot himself point blank twice, apparently no arterial penetration, but much hamburger de' groin with birdshot and is in satisfactory condition the next morning. Granted his sex life won't be the same
I must have missed the medical part of the artical that said "no arterial penetration." Where did it say no arterial penetration?

I have to agree with others, this incident seems to have nothing to do with the effectiveness of birdshot. From the sounds of things, it was just an appendage hit. This isn't a penetration issue as obviously birdshot has the ability to penetrate such an appendage. No doubt the shot passed right through, that which hit.

That is another thing, Don. Somewhere in the two blasts, I think you are assuming that they were full impacts, which certainly may not be the case.
Old June 14, 2008, 10:02 PM   #53
Rifleman 173

With a shotgun loaded with birdshot, buckshot or slugs, there is no appeal once the trigger has been pulled and the shell discharged. Birdshot can be deadly, just as deadly as buckshot or slugs if fired accurately into a kill zone and at close range. Glancing shots with anything will wound and not neccessarily kill.
Old June 15, 2008, 12:11 AM   #54
HKFan9

People always say "You cant fix stupid." I'd this is as close as it comes to fixing it